Re: OT 1992 Honda

I posted this message in rec.autos.makers.honda but have had no luck with a

> decent response. I hate posting a Honda Question in a Mustang forum but you > all seem to know what you're talking about, a lot more then those guys over > there. I appreciate any advice you can give me. > > > Hello All, > > A friend of mine has a 1992 Civic VX with approximately 130,000 miles and > has had some problems. To me, it appears that there is some kind of problem > with the ignition system. The engine hesitates at times and has sudden > bursts of energy (like it's only running on 3 cylinders at times). I > changed all the spark plugs, wires, and the distributor cap. Unfortunately, > they were out of the rotor she needed. The original plugs had their usual > wear and tear, but no excessive amount of build-up. After installing > everything, the car ran perfect, it was like a new car again. Then about a > week later, it started acting up again with the exact same symptoms. I > checked the wires to make sure I hadn't accidentally left one loose, but > they all felt fine. > > The guy at the part shop where I got everything told me that the 1992 Civic > VX had a special set of wires, which I got. He also told me that it needed > platinum plugs, which I *didn't* get because I had already bought Bosch > plugs at Pep Boys a few minutes earlier. The guy also told me that if the > car didn't run right to come back in and get the right plugs. From that, > the next two things I was going to try are to replace all the plugs with > platinum, and the rotor, which shouldn't have any more then 30,000 miles on > it. > > My first question is, what, if anything, will the platinum plugs do? I've > always been told that the platinum plugs were a waste of money and did > nothing to improve the performance for your car. Secondly, could anybody > give me any other advice? I'm not sure why the car would have run so great > for the first week and then go right back to what it was doing before.

Hmmm not a mechanic but I had a similar problem with a Toyota that was stalling, I replaced the rotor and cap (which were pretty bad) and it went away for a short while, then started stalling again.

Turns out the timing belt was badly in need of replacement, which I think fouled up the new cap and rotor, leading to the mysterious "hey it's fixed, ohhh, damn maybe not" thing. Anyway theoretically a new rotor and cap will have more point surface area (and are clean) when spanking new so the timing problem isn't quite as bad until they wear down and foul a little. I think both of those things are accelerated by the timing issue. But this is all speculation. The surging could be the EEC trying to compensate for the timing too. Anyway all of this is moot if the belt/chain on it has been replaced.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Platinum plugs are used primarily to extend the interval between services. If you haven't changed the rotor yet do that. Honda has been notoriuos for bad rotors. Also was the distributor full of a powdery substance looking like rust? If so the distributor bearing has failed and will cause a problem in the pickup of the distributor. If everything else appears ok and the car still symptomizes try to determine if the problem is spark or fuel. Possibly an injector? Bt try the rotor first as this is a common problem. The reason the symptom goes away is the new plug wires and plugs etc have a lower resistance allowing spark to pass through them. As the parts wear and build corrosion the spark looks for a path of least resistance to go. This is sometimes right through the rotor to the distributor shaft.

Good Luck

David Short

Reply to
Acura God

O2 sensors...I bet that's one of the few items that has never been changed on the car. Also, cleaning the MAF element is a good idea. If it's anything like the last one I saw after 130,000 miles, it's not going to be too pretty.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sean

Reply to
Fao, Sean

You have another interesting point. I'm also not a mechanic so I had never really considered the timing belt. I'm almost certain that the car is still running with its original. One more thing to the list of possibilies. By the time I'm done, this car is going to have so many new parts it'll go another 130,000 miles easy!

Thanks for your reply.

Sean

Reply to
Fao, Sean

No, the distributor looked pretty clean. There points were a bit worn but nothing unexpected.

I have been starting to fear that it could be the injectors. In my experience (keep in mind I am not a mechanic) when the distributor, wires and plugs need replaced, an excessive amount of buildup occurs on the plugs. The plugs were defiantly not clean; however they also didn't appear to have been subjected to a rich fuel mixture, which I would expect if the plug is only firing sometimes.

I hope this isn't the case.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sean

Reply to
Fao, Sean

I want to thank you all for your comments. Who would have thought a Ford newsgroup would have been better at giving answers on Hondas then a Honda newsgroup?

For those of you who responded, I'll keep you posted.

Sean

Reply to
Fao, Sean

Several people have mentioned *items* that are known for failing on Honda's. So, let me put my two cents in.

My mechanic, just happens to only work on Honda's. However, a few special customers such as myself, and the University of Oklahoma football team can have their cars worked on by him. I get my work done for free and he gets new computers and tech work done for free. To shorten the story, seems as though every time I am in the shop, I get the same reply when asking what is wrong with a car in the bay. *Timing belt*.

He says, after 15 years of working on nothing but Honda's that the timing belt is what is most often replaced.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper