Re: PING>>Jim Warman

I think it'd be real tricky, Gary.... The skin of the torque convertor isn't real thick so you'd need someone good with a MIG. Personally, it's a job I wouldn't touch without the customer knowing we could be replacing the convertor even after our efforts. Make sure the convertor is full of oil to help carry the heat away and your welder will probably need to work with real short "stitches" unless he's real brave and sure he wont have a burn through.

This is off topic but Ford related. One of the mounting studs on my '79 > Bronco's torque converter is stripped. Can a new one be welded on or am I > looking at a new torque converter? Thanks for your advice. > > Gary > >
Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim. I thought I'd try and save a few bucks but I'd rather spend the $80 on a new one and know for sure it's going to work.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Even if you welded it OK what about balancing it, both static and dynamic?

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

Once the area for the stud was prepared for welding (meaning all of the old stud would be removed) the replacement would be within a couple of grams of what used to be in that spot...... adequate for a production motor.

Jim Warman