Re: What do you drive as a beater?

I had a 92 Z24....saw it about 8 months ago (sold it 3 years ago) and still in the same shape I sold it..i would buy it back if I saw it for sale..

oh well I would still like to find me an 86-87 body style Z24..those were very rare, even the dashboards/interiors in those were totally different than the regular base models...

Reply to
RioRedGT

I didn't like the body style. I liked your '92 though.

I miss the '88 that I put into the side of a hill. *sigh* Learning experience. Look at the road, idiot. *talking to myself*

Oh well. My turbo Probezilla works just fine as a winter ride for now.

JS

Reply to
JS

Check this out:

My old Z is in there...I put an 87 Z24 so you could see what they looked like.

Don't feel bad about driving into a hill..... actually you should feel terrible about it along with all the embarrassment. =-) jk

Reply to
RioRedGT

I remember pics of your old Z. I liked that body style... I'd probably pick one up as a winter beater if I wasn't also looking for something from DSM right now. Nothing like a 13-second winter beater with AWD. ;-)

I still don't care much for the '87 body, even in Z-24 trim.

JS

embarrassment.

Reply to
JS

I had a 86 Yugo a few years back....what a car! Or should I say what?, a car?

Reply to
Gary Vitagliano

thats where im at in bristol,pa.yea we had way too much rain this yr so far and hate to see what the winter has to bring.

Reply to
Mustangkrazy

yea i had an 87 cavalier rs convertible and loved that car and u cant kill the 2.8's or 3.1 motors.they hold up very good.i had almost 200,000 miles on mine and the guy i sold it too still drives it and all he did was get it painted.theres even a cavalier webring with lots of sites. very neat to see what they do to them.

Reply to
Mustangkrazy

My beater actuallu is a mustang vert with a built 302. I also have a redfire metallic 03 vert as pictured at the link below. My beater has a ported, balanced and blueprinted block and heads. I had the carb blueprinted by a local ford exclusive machine shop. I have never dynoed it but I will bet that it's way up there in horsepower. Thats what my beater is. Incidentally, it never snows here so I drive my cars all year round. But I used to live near boston and tried to drive a muscle car in the winter there. Didn't work so well. So I understand the need for a beater in the winter.

Michael

winter will bring snow

Reply to
CigManXFls

lol... smartass... I like it.

That's the question... how *much* snow. If it snows as much as it rained here, I might have to telecommute. That's hard when you're a repair technician. ;-)

JS

Reply to
JS

u cant kill the 2.8's or 3.1 motors

Yes you can.... ;0) We had to replace the 3.1 in ours last weekend because it died, got up one morning and it wouldn't start, mind ya it was acting weird for a few days before. Now we are stuck with a 4 cyl ticker.

Reply to
emtecca

I hope it's nothing like we had last year.... when you get 10 ft snowbanks and the snow keeps falling it gets pretty depressing.

Reply to
emtecca

Gets pretty depressing? Have ya looked outside in last, eh, I dunno, 9 months? lol...

Most of the year's been depressing... coupled with some of last year. I'd say it's been almost a whole year since we had half decent weather here.. I mean, even respectable for the season kind of thing. It's still spring here, and it's almost the end of summer. One of these days it might stop raining. The weather forecast always says it'll be nice next week. I've been waiting for next week now for months.

Last winter did blow chunks... snowed every day, almost had three weeks straight without ever seeing 32F/0C as even a high... for Pittsburgh, that's not a normal thing. I know there's lots of Candians here that will laugh because we consider that bad.

JS

Reply to
JS

Best thing about winters near you JS is about around Ligonier and 7 Springs Area!

Ever been to Flat Rock ??

Man! That reminds me! I have a GREAT Story about the Rolling Rock area (near Flat Rock and Lin Run State Park)!

About 20 odd years ago, I got "Escorted" of the property of the President of Mellon Bank!

YES! "THE" infamous Mellon Bank!!

After his Private Security guards "escorted" me off his property, I was going up the road to head back on Rt.30 (heading back to Greensburg), when (2) Pa State Troopers where came FLYING past me going back up to his Estate!

Apparently, they take his Security pretty SERIOUS!

The dude's Estate was covered with these above ground motion detectors and cameras all over! It was unreal!

Ohh! I was delivering "Coupon Books" at the time.... I guess his Butler misunderstood one of our phoneroom flunkies and gave her the go ahead to have me come out there.

I guess I wasn't welcome there huh ?!?!

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

Katmandu

Well my uncle told us ( been working on cars now for as long as I can remember) that we would never be able to kill the slant 6 that was in our Ram Van. Needless to say about 2 weeks later while heading over the highway the thing crapped out on us. Funny thing is that it was working fine before that trip.

I think I am cursed when it comes to total engine failure. I believe we have killed about 5-6 engines so far....

Reply to
emtecca

My first winter with a beater was good. I prefered my mustang for driving in the snow, but didn't like cleaning the salt laden slush out of the wheel wells and washing the salt off the car, etc and so forth because of it. Now I have a beater, when it gets salty and the fenderbergs grow, I just don't care.

When I drive into the city and park on the street, I don't have to becareful about the parking spot. I can park a car anywhere and know it will be there when I come back.

Reply to
Brent P