Re: Why do all the ricers love the Honda Civic?

I suggest you invest in a WRX or an Evo or even a Neon SRT-4 (sorry, no Honda

> equivalent) so you will see what the appeal is, and maybe reaffirm your manhood > :) > Texas Parts Guy

I considered getting a WRX Sti, but I just couldn't get past the huge wing on the rear. I like the smaller wing on the regular WRX and wish it was available as an option on the WRX Sti.

I ended up buying a 2004 Ford F-150 4x4 Lariat instead and I am really happy with it.

Reply to
Mark Jones

no reason the wing couldnt be swapped, is there? same color car, same body style? im sure some poser would love driving a WRX with an Sti wing. dealer shoulda done it for ya.

Reply to
mike

Both of those wings look as stupid as fins on a 60's Cadillac.

Reply to
TCS

Hey,hey,hey! '58 thru '62 rule!Cars don't get much cooler than that.

Reply to
David V.N.

Me too. I have a friend with a nice white one. First thing he did was remove the top half of the rear wing. Looks better, but still working on getting it right. We're also looking at the scoop.

||I ended up buying a 2004 Ford F-150 4x4 Lariat instead and ||I am really happy with it.

LOL As soon as I unload the two Fords I have, I'll probably do the same. Gotta havea tow vehicle. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

I don't agree. The rear wing on the WRX is much smaller as seems to be an appropriate size. The WRX Sti wing is big enough that it look ridiculous.

Reply to
Mark Jones

What is it that's ridiculous about it? It's supposed to be a street-legal replicar of the WRC model - no?

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald

That doesn't mean that I have to like the way the rear wing looks. Just because it was on the WRC car does not mean that I want to own a car with a wing that big.

Reply to
Mark Jones

If it's functional it's not ridiculous.

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald

Sure it is. These aren't the WRC car, they are street driven. How often will anyone drive one of these cars fast enough for the huge wing to actually perform its function?

When a race car has a particular feature that only comes into use at extreme speeds, this feature serves no purpose at highway speeds. The wing is just too big in my opinion.

I have a car that can out perform the WRX Sti, but it sure as hell doesn't need a big damn wing to get it done.

My opinion changed anyway when I discovered that I could buy a much more powerful Cobra for close to the same price. If I had to choose between the two cars, the Cobra would be my choice because it is more powerful and looks a lot better.

Reply to
Mark Jones

It's not functional and it's ridiculous.

Reply to
TCS

You don't have to drive that fast for the wing to do its stuff. I bet at 100 mph it's producing a fair amount of downforce.

Yeah, maybe in a straight line ...

Reply to
Sven

What do you not understand about "replicar"? There are people who want to have a similar driving experience, as close as one can get in a road car, to Petter Solberg or Colin McRae just as you want to pretend that you're... whoever is in fashion in grunt-mobiles!... wouldn't know about that last. I'm sure there are also enthusiasts who like to autocross or rally who just drive to the event.

You'll have to define "out-perform" but I'm pretty sure you're umm, pretending.

Your preference and looks is fine for err, you. Powerful != performance.

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald

Suggest you increase your err, knowledge pool, before letting off brain-farts.

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald

message

How often do expect that a person is going to be going 100 mph or faster? Not very often I would expect.

No, I could easily take a WRX Sti through the mountains. I drive a Corvette with quite a bit more HP than the Subaru. It also has some very wide and very sticky tires on it that will negate most of the 4 wheel drive advantage of the WRX Sti.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Not pretending at all. I drive a Corvette that has a lot more HP and torque than the WRX Sti. That is the reason that I finally decided to not get the WRX Sti and instead bought a new 4x4 truck. I already had a high performance vehicle and decided that I didn't really need another one.

It wasn't even a matter of price either. The WRX and the truck had almost the same price. It just came down to the fact that having two performance cars didn't seem like a good way to spend my money.

The dealer did have a turbocharged WRX on the lot. It looked more to my taste with the smaller wing, but I like the fact that the WRX Sti is designed by the factory and not just built up by the local dealer. I saw a blue WRX Sti with gold wheels about 2 weeks ago coming up the road from the Subaru dealer and my first impression was that the wing was too big for a car that small. The wing looked bigger on the blue car than it does on a silver car. The lighter silver color doesn't seem quite as obvious.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Depends what you're doing and where you live.

Yeah, sure. I'm not saying you couldn't beat an Sti through the mountains, especially if your vette is a z06, but "easily"? BS. It will be down to the driver, and an Sti is a very easy car to drive quickly.

BTW: I don't drive an impreza, I drive an EVO 7, in case you think I'm being bias.

Reply to
Sven

On the rear wheels. Brilliant on a front wheel drive vehicle. Does wonders for helping the front wheels grab and that 5%/95% force distribution also does wonders for handling.

Of course we know all about big spoilers on race cars -- all those indy500 race cars with front wheel drive, all zero of them.

Reply to
TCS

I suggest you have an argument at your disposal, even if a weak one, before you make a complete fool of yourself with your pathetic ad hominems.

Reply to
TCS

message

WTF are you talking about?