Rear differential gears

Anybody got a site that'll explain the pros/cons between different gears? I think somebody posted here before with it, but I formatted & lost the URL. Thanks!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Katmandu

Groovy. Any others? And thanks a lot!! =)

Reply to
<memset

How do I find out what my current gears are? I assume they've never been changed before, but I bought the car used in 2002. It's a 98 Mustang GT. TIA.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

What gear ratio do I have? Jack up one tire if you have an open differential(diff), or both tires if you have a limited slip or locking diff. Rotate the tire one full revolution for limited slip and locking diffs and 2 full revolutions for open diffs. Carefully count the number of full revolutions the driveshaft makes. This is your gear ratio. In other words, if the drive shaft turns 3 ¾ turns, you probably have a 3.73 gear ratio. Turning the tire for twice the number of full revolutions and dividing the drive shaft revolutions by two will give you a more accurate reading.

Do I have a limited slip or locking differential? Put the transmission in neutral and jack up both tires. Turn one tire. If the other tire spins the opposite direction you have an open diff, and if it spins the same direction you have a limited slip or locking diff.

Some good information on this subject is given @

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C with a

3.50 limited slip(Traction-Lok) diff @
Grover C. McCoury III

Very cool man. Thanks a million! :)

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

If there is no tag affixed to the rear end, there are a couple of methods available. One easy and less reliable... one not so easy but exact.

Easy method...

Not so easy method...

Count number of teeth on each, the ring and pinion... do the math. :)

-= Francis Yarra =- fyarraATjunoDOTcom

- My drywall website
- My C64 website
- My personal website

Reply to
Nospam9212

Check the axle code on your driver's side door sill sticker. If it is ME, you have the 3.27 w/traction-lok; anything else indicates a standard 2.73 w/traction-lok. (assuming no one has noodled with it, of course.)

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

That seems, by far, the easiest so I'll try that first. Much appreciated, JD & everybody else who posted =).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

The obvious major assumption here is that prior owner(s) have not changed the diff. You know what they say about assumptions...

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C with a

3.50 limited slip(Traction-Lok) diff @
Grover C. McCoury III

Post the code on the driver's door or B pillar. I might be able to decode it.

Reply to
Mark Cook

I hafta get my car back first. It's still at AAMCO... it will be until next paycheck or until I get a loan (applied already, applying at another bank tomorrow).

Reply to
<memset