rear disks in '87 question.

A buddy at work gave me his rear disk brake setup from his 5.0 because he went to baer 5 lug wheels on his fox mustang. They're a setup from an '88 turbo t-bird. I think I have everything I need but I'm not sure how the calipers are oriented. Top front or top back of the axle? Also there's a big aluminum master cylinder with a 1"+ piston. I'm debating weather I should use this or get a '88 t-bird 4 wheel disk master. Also, there is an adjustable proportioning valve. Should I get a 4 wheel disk proportioning valve from a t-bird or just use my proportioning valve with the adjustable valve inline with the rear brakes? Any help appreceated and please don't refer me to google. :)

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Sounds like the discontinued M-2300-C rear disk brake kit from Ford. The calipers are installed on the back side of the disk with the bleed screws at the top and the parking brake lever at the bottom. The master cylinder that came with that kit was D9AZ-2140-A (big with an old style steel cover). The kit came with an adjustable proportioning valve. The existing proportioning valve has to be modified (gutted) and a solid plug installed.

Not sure if this will still work but, when I got mine off of a scrapyard car, I called Ford Motor Sport tech support (I think I got there number from a dealer) and they helped out by faxing me a copy of the installation instruction. From the current catalog the tech number is now (586)

468-1356.

Best of luck!

Reply to
Rod

Cool, thank's Rod. I think that's exactly what I have. I'll give them a call on monday.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I had the SSBC kit professionally installed a long while back, (same parts different logo). After you get everything installed you are going to notice a significant increase in peddle effort. You can offset this by upgrading to 73mm front calipers from a Lincoln LSC or Crown Victoria.

proportioning

Reply to
ironrod