Rearview mirror problem

Greetings all,

I got in a hurry the other day remounting the rearview mirror on the wife's van and put it on upside down. DOH!!

So, how do I get it back off? Someone suggested brake fluid on a Q-tip, but a friend at work said he heard that brake fluid would ruin a windshield. I know it will really screw up a paint job, but never heard of it hurting a windshield.

Thanks in advance for any help, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

Well brake fluid won't hurt the windshield but I don't think it will remove the mirror mount anyway and I would not be splashing nasty DOT 3 all over the inside of my vehicle for fear of removing the colour dyed parts finish etc. Usually they just come off with a tug but I'm sure windshield damage my result sometimes so be careful. The other option would be to drive to or call an auto glass store and ask them. Chances are they'd do it for free if they think you might be back for a windshield some day or simply turn the mirror right way around if the bracket doesn't look odd. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Use a crescent wrench to apply a "twisting" force while applying some heat directly to the mount shoe with a Bic lighter.

Don't try to get it glowing hot or anything. Just to soften the glue a bit. The rotation will allow the bond to break without putting any direct force on the window as any type of prying would.

I just had a windshield replaced in mine and the new windshield came with a different size shoe than the old one. The installer had to remove the new one, and replace it with my old one, and this is the method he used!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Jeez!!

Less than forty minutes since I posted and I probably already have my answer. Thanks Chief, I had toyed with the idea of using a heat gun, but had not thought of using the crescent wrench.

I intended to use a Q-tip for the brake fluid, Stuart&Janet. As I said in my OP, I know it can really screw up a paint job, but I won't admit how I know. 8>)

Thanks again, Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts