Recommend thunderbird news reader

I use firefox for web and like it, so now testing thunderbird

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I've been using them both for a while now. There's a bit of a learning curve as I expect certain things to happen from using the Microsoft products for so long.

One thing I don't like, using Firefox, is that when I highlight some text on a page, it doesn't skip to the beginning or end of the block of text. IE allows you to just place your cursor somewhere in the middle and pull to one end or another and it will select the entire word.

I also noticed some pages with lots of pictures take a long time to load in Firefox compared to IE.

Nothing specifically comes to mind with Thunderbird right now - so far so good.

Steve TS# 32

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
AGuyNamedSteve

And one caveat.. about Thunderbird... if your news server requires SSL security, the only time you can set the login and password is when you set up the account... i.e., through the setup wizard

XNews otoh allowed this to be done by editing the account.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If you haven't done so, check out the extensions available for Firefox. Some of them are down right handy and useful. I've been using Firefox and Thunderbird for quite a while and really like both programs.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Michael,

What kind of extensions are you using?

I just thought of something I haven't figured out to do with Thunderbird... How do I have it highlight the threads that I'm active in? I could do it with Outlook Express, but haven't figured it out for Thunderbird yet.

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
AGuyNamedSteve

With Thunderbird, I'm using Mnenhy, View Headers Toggle Button, Quote Colors, addressContext, DictionarySearch, World Weather, and Enigmail.

With Firefox, I'm using Adblock (of course), Optimoz's Mouse Gestures, DictionarySearch, Gmail Notifier, US Dept. of Homeland Insecurity Idiocy Meter, HTML Validator, LoremIpsum Content Generator (Epsum factorial non deposit quid!), SecurePassword Generator, TinyURL Creator, Advanced Highlighter Button, FoxyTunes, EditCSS, and BugMeNot.

And they both still load faster than IE and OE. :)

Create a new filter and using your own info for the criteria, set the action to "Watch Thread". I don't think it exactly highlights the thread (I haven't used Watch Thread at all), but it does assign extra filterable criteria to the entire thread. As an example, once you set up the new filter, you can switch the thread view to "Watched Threads with Unread" and only see threads you've participated in that have new messages.

I've been using Mozilla since about M17 and both FF and TB since the early betas, and I've only just scratched the surface of the configurability and power that the Mozilla products give me as a user to do whatever the heck I want to do with them.

Reply to
Garth Almgren