Recommendation for Winter Driving...

I realize that we're in Spring now but I've decided to go down to one car which would be my '00 GT convertible. This would mean that I would be using the GT in the winter here in Denver. I don't have traction control and would like to know how you deal with winter driving? Do you switch out the tires? Put more weight in the trunk, etc? This would be the first time I would be driving the GT in snow. I know it's a long ways out for winter but I just want to save up for what I need to buy if any.

Thanks

'00 Red GT Vert

5-Speed Steeda Tri-Axe
Reply to
Y2KRedMustang

Definitely. Get a set of four good studless winter tires (like Blizzaks) mounted on steel wheels, and keep a set of chains in the trunk... in case you get stuck.

Also definitely. Throw a couple bags of sand or kitty litter in the trunk, and it'll double as a traction aid... in case you get stuck.

Your traction control is your right foot. Just remember to do

*everything* gently (steering, braking, and throttling), and you should do fine... unless you get stuck. ;)

Hey, at least Denver proper is just about as flat as you could want. There's nothing like trying to drive up or down a 12% grade covered with three inches of snow. Have you lived and driven through winters there long? Practice and experience both help enormously in the snow.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

I live in a moderately hilly town N. of Boston, and the performance tires make my '98 GT absolutely dangerous. But, with snows, it is OK.

Get a set of snows. I keep snows on cheap steel wheels, with cheap plastic wheel covers. Every fall and spring, I switch between snows and funs.

{I just bought a new set of funs -- Bridgestone Potenza RE750s -- to replace the original Gatorbacks. The Bridgestones are fine, and are much better in the rain than the Gatorbacks ever were.}

Reply to
Bob Willard

Reply to
Y2KRedMustang

You heard the man. get snowtires. When you take the sumemr tires off, give the wheels a good cleanign inside and out. Don't let them sit all winter with the brake dust on them like my dad did. Can't get it off next spring

Reply to
RT

um dude mustangs are not really made for winter you might want to drive awd

hurc ast

Reply to
icouldv8