remote starter question

OK, I just thought of another question. If I get a remote starter, how will the car run if teh key has a chip in it? Do I start the car, and when I get in have to put the key in and turn it for the car to run? Do I drve with the key out the car since it is already running??

The Billy

Reply to
The Billy

i had a daytona with the remote start and have/had cars with it at the carlot i work for.all u do is turn the key but not all the way as to not grind the starter and your off but if u hit the brake before u turn the key the car will stall. it should be the same for chipped keys.i hope it is as i would like to get a remote start on my 96 gt.hope this info is helpfull to u.if not u could call any install shop or best buys or circuit city or someplace like that.good luck with it.

Reply to
(GT GUY

If your car has PATS, you'll need a PATS interface module (about $40 in Canada)...... if the remote start is hooked up properly, stepping on the brake will kill the motor. If the remote start isn't hooked up properly, you still fight with a locked steering wheel (Homer Simpson once said "DOH!").

I have used AutoCommand for many years with great results and have one in my '92 Explorer. I also have a CodeAlarm Silver (spendy) in my '02 SuperCrew - the PATS interface went out after less than 9 months but was easy to replace. I have retained all the factory options including progressive unlock and only need the remote start fob.

Smart money is on enabling the starter lockout feature (if the motor is running, the starter wont engage) but to drive, you will have to insert the key and turn it to run.

Reply to
Jim Warman

There's a way around it. My wifes Cougar has the chip in the key, and I think we had spend an extra $30-40 for a special relay.

Reply to
.boB