remove painted plastic exterior moudling

I have a white 96 cobra and I want to remove the painted plastic exterior a-pillars around the side windows so I can paint the roof correctly. I cannot get them off easily and I don't want to break them. I have removed the 5 bolts holding the upper exterior panel but it wont come off without the top and front pillar piece. I dont see any other bolts but it will not come off without breaking it in pieces. It appears the problem area is where the a pillar meets with the top of the roof.. I have not removed the headliner because it looks like it wont come off without ruining the backer board. do I need to remove it?

help

thanks

Reply to
dave

Huh? The A pillar is the front pillar... The piece with 5 bolts is on the C pillar.

According to my '97 shop manual there are 4? bolts and three spring retainers on the forward piece. The C-pillar piece has 5 bolts and one retainer of some sort, looks like it might be a hook retainer or spring clip, not clear from the drawing. I scanned the page in for you:

Brent P

Reply to
dave

I have no idea what you are talking about here.

Reply to
Brent P

If you pull down the weather striping around the top of the door you'll see a black channel that the striping "pops' into. This I believe has to come off to access the bolts in the diagram. I have removed all the bolts(torx) but it does not come out. do you have a diagram of this piece?

thanks for be> > thats great thanks

Reply to
dave

Short of taking my car apart to see if it's there I can't find that piece in the manual. It might have changed there between 96 and 97.

Reply to
Brent P