removing shifter on automatic '89

I need to replace the shift indicator in my '89 w/AOD. How do I remove the T-handle so that I can just slide the old shift indicator up and off and put the new one on? I don't see a set screw anywhere. I have pulled up gently on the shifter, I have pulled with everything I have, I have pulled with and without pressing in the shift release button. It won't budge. I have the Ford shop manual -- no mention. No mention in Haynes, either. *Somebody* out there must know how to do this. Help!

Reply to
Steve

"Steve" wrote in news:1136658466.938396.311730 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I had to do this years ago on mine ('93 LX), as the button broke and I had to replace it. IIRC, if you hold the button in and pull up on the handle, it will come off. As I remember, it took a bit of force to get it off.

Joe

Yeah, if you're absolutely sure that there isn't a set screw (the replacement I bought from Tim aka Musttanguy had one, the original didn't), you should be able to pop it off with maybe some coaxing from a rubber mallet.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Reply to
Fred V.

The '89 has an AOD, whereas the others don't.