Repair work question on hours it takes to change starter and one valve cover gasket

I have an '88 Mustang 5.0 and was wondering what is a fair amount of time for a mechanic to charge for changing a starter motor and then also a passenger side valve cover gasket? I was charged one hour for the starter motor hence $85 and two hours for the valve cover hence $170 parts not included. I really didnt think it would take that long for either especially cause he said he didnt have to take off the intake like he originally quoted would make the gasket a two hour job. He was able to slip it on and off. I appreciate any input thanks.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

I personally could change a valve cover gasket in less than ½ an hour (including cleaning up). Maybe he stripped a thread and had to add a helicoil or something.

Reply to
nospam

Reply to
jeramy

Been a while since I worked on anything that old.... and I find it amazing that people want the job rushed.... and after the job is rushed and goes bad, the mechanic can fix it properly FOR FREE. If my repair goes bad, I get bad mouthed... if your repair goes bad, there are no witnesses.

Here's the way it works.... you ask for a repair to be performed.... the mechanic gives you a quote.... he either gets the job or you leave. Couldn't be any simpler.

Me? Probably 1.5 for the gasket..... take it or leave it. My care and attention to detail preclude rushing from task to task. Oh... that'll be 2 hours + if you've worked on it first...

Reply to
Jim Warman

1 hour at most. 2 for the drivers side because you have to remove the upper intake.
Reply to
WindsorFox