Replacement Driver's Seat - '03 GT 'Vert

Has anybody replaced the driver's seat in a 99+ GT 'vert?

I've had the car since July, and like it, except that I find the driving position on trips over an hour or so very uncomfortable. Admittedly, I'm 6'5"

So... I was thinking of removing the seat, power adjustments and all, and replacing it with something that would be (a) fixed (b) lower, and (c) permit more rear travel. A "thinner" seat would be good, as the standard seats are thick, and I could gain an inch or two in both the seating height and the backrest travel. I'm also thinking about tearing out the back seat altogether... I don't have any kids ¾ 6 which is about all it would be good for anyway, and I'd be able to fit in my dogs!

When I come to sell the car in a year or two, I was hoping to get the original seat reinstalled.

If anyone has done this, I'd be interested in getting some pointers of where to go. Unfortunately, it seems that the only way to really try it out would be after installation, so I'm trying to avoid an expensive mistake.

TIA

Reply to
Scudder

You could get a racing seat for the driver side and have custom bracketry made that fit the floorpan and the bottom of the seat. They are typically thin and can be mounted low and back (with the custom brackets) to allow for you to fit in the car. I can't imagine being 6'5" and trying to drive one of these cars... I have a '97 Cobra and I'm 6'1" and my knees are already in the steering wheel.

There are ways to modify the stock seat to allow an extra inch or two, but you still have the height thing to worry about.

It won't be necessarily cheap or comfortable, but if you get a racing seat on Ebay or something, and have a local weld shop make up something, it shouldn't be too bad.

JS

Reply to
JS

Don't give up! You don't have to replace the seat, there are some tall guys in the group that have a work around for this. I think it involves moving the seat bracket back... if you don't get a response to this post on it, try a subject line that tells you are tall and need more clearance :) There have been several posts about this particular problem for you big fellas.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate (mobile)

Take a look at this, maybe it will give you enough room.

luck! Dennis

03 GT Black
Reply to
Dennis

Rein

You can also switch to a manual seat track which don't sit as high as well as move the seat rearward on the track with the second set of mounting holes on the seat bottoms.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Since posting, I discovered that the bolt repositioning mods won't work, as the backrest is already hard against the seatbelt outlet and interior trim in order for me to drive the thing.

Soooo... I'm off to try out some thin racing seats, which I hope will work.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

Reply to
Scudder

? that's weird. The backrest should fold back all the way, the seatbelt outlet should not be in the way.... Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Rein

Exactly. The convertible has "bulges" that intrude, therefore the backrest doesn't recline far enough... in my case.

I guess Ford didn't have anyone much over 6' to test the seating position. Still a great car for the money... I just hope to get comfortable with a new seat.

Reply to
Scudder

aaah, that explains it. I have a coupe so I don't have that problem. I am 6-4 and sit pretty comfortable in the 03. It's not like I can stretch my legs, but then again, it IS a mustang so if I wanted a luxury boat, I'd get a crown vic... :-)

Rein

I ran into a problem like this (I'm 6'4") when I wanted to install a roll bar in my 1990 vert (same seat issues). I ended up buying Corbeau Forza II seats. Initially, I thought I had made a huge mistake. The Forza II is advertised as the widest fixed back seat available, but it sure didn't fit my butt. After some massaging with a bottle jack (the seat frame is steel and can be bent to fit), it fit me and the car perfectly.

My next problem was the seat brackets. I had ordered special low profile brackets for these seats because I'm tall. The last thing I expected was to find out that with these low-pro brackets, I would be sitting taller than I had been with the stock seats. I ended up making my own brackets that mount directly to the floor. Now, I'm happy, but most people who ride with me can't see over the dashboard, so I have a special pillow for the passenger seat :-).

Anyway, if I had to do it over again, I'd consider a reclining race seat (especially if you're not planning to install a roll bar) and would expect to need custom brackets. The reclining seats also don't grab your hips like the fixed back seats, so there isn't as much problem with a 6'+ person fitting into them.

-Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Circenis