Replacing Door Lock Actuators

I'm having issues with trying to lock my driver's side door. I now have to turn the key and push down of the button at the same time to get the door to lock. The power door lock actuator is jacked, right? (I hate electric powered option crap.) How tough is it to replace these? I'm also thinking about changing out the power window motors while I have the door panels off. Anyone go through this? How tough are these jobs? Please advise.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Thanks for asking. TFrog's driver-side door lock is shot, too. Makes me think twice about where I park it.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Should be able to test the actuators when you get trim panel off. Be VERY careful if you're doing anything with the window actuator mechanism. It's under load from the internal spring and if the arm isn't unloaded properly you could get hurt.

Reply to
Rick Olive

My passenger side does it. I replaced it once and I think it's getting wet. I've cleaned it with WD40 and then greased everything and it now sleeps inside so I hopefully won't have to worry about it. I remember the place I got the motor was the best price. Seems like it had "hydraulic" in the name and they were famous for their parts for convertible top mechanism parts.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Makes me miss my no-option car.

Thanks for the link, Frog!

This has to be my next job. That, and power window motors -- might even spring for some fancy one click-up/down power window switches.

This weekend I replaced my old ignition module -- tossed the one that was loose for a year because a screw had backed out -- for a Accel unit. Tightening the screw fixed the idle problem, but replacing it with a new module really woke the car up. Along with a new fuel filter, cap/rotor and spark plugs the car is running great!

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Yikes! That's good to know.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Oh BTW, I did not look at the link that Dwight posted, but if the instructions include "Drill out the huge pop-rivet holding the lock motor bracket..." Do NOT do it! I left mine intact and just spread the ears on the bracket enough to slip out the old one and again to slip in the new one. I still have the new bracket that came with the new motor so many years ago.

Reply to
WindsorFox

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

> /1

Ditto. I've got the same problem with the driver's side door.

Patrick, how much do the ignition modules run? Sounds like a must-do.

Reply to
Joe

innews: snipped-for-privacy@h25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Joe,

About 50 bucks and 10-minutes of work.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

@h25g2000hsf.googlegroups.c

Sounds like a no-brainer. Thanks for the tip!

Reply to
Joe