Replacing timimg chain cover gasket/seal 1997, 3.8.....

Am at a point where i am a little overwhelmed. The book tells me to find TDC, yet is very vague on the procedure. It first told me to remove the crankshaft vibration damper. Then it tells me to, after installing a compression gauge in cylinder #1, turn crankshaft clockwise with a socket and breaker bar, yet there's nothing on the crankshaft anymore. ????? I'm a little confused. also, it says to disconnect the primary electrical connectors @ the ignition coil pack/modules, yet doesn't say where these are. HELP PLEASE!

Reply to
EHess

Put the crankshaft damper retaining bolt back into the crackshaft and then use a 1/2" drive ratchet/breaker to turn the crank.

As far as finding TDC, get a 'piston stop' from your local tool crib. If you dont want to buy a piston stop, you can do the following. Remove spark plug from #1 cylinder. Place your finger/thumb over the spark plug hole in such a way that you form a fairly good seal. Turn the crank until you feel the air pressure building around your thumb. You have now identified the piston coming to the top of its travel on the compression stroke. From here, you want to as closely identify when the piston is at the complete top of its travel. I have used a nice long (8" plus) plastic straw inserted into the spark plug hole with a mark or two on it to judge distance. By turning the crank back and forth, you'll be able to make a really good guess at to where TDC is.

Remember that this is a *4 stroke* engine, so the piston travels to the top of its bore *twice* in a complete cycle; once to push exhaust gases out and once to compress fresh gas/air mixture on the compression stroke. The point at which the piston is at the top of its travel on the compression stroke is TDC.

An example piston stop is here;

I like reasons to buy tools, so I bought a piston stop last time I was checking TDC.

Reply to
cprice