Reputable resto parts vendor? (long)

I've seen lots of websites for the vintage cars. Mustangs Express, Mustangs Unlimited, Mustangs Plus, mustangs whatever, etc, etc, etc. I have several of the catalogs also. Before I start putting down thousands for interior/exterior/suspension kits, I'd like to know who's really reputable and has decent prices. Mustangs Plus has great kits, but it seems to be more expensive than most others. I've heard about problems with the "Magna"/"Grab a track" line of products anyways. Any truth the this?

I live in Colorado and it's difficult to dispute any problems with vendors who are a thousand miles away. I've talked to the local guys, but they seem to get all their stuff from the other guys I already have catalogs for. Colorado Mustang gets alot from Mustangs Plus from what I can tell. Why not skip them in the first place and get it shipped directly to me without their markup.

This may be a rant re: paint, but I could buy another '66 coupe in fairly good condition for the price of a decent paint job. I'm not getting any quotes less than $5500 that won't end up looking like Earl Scheib/Maaco.

Scott '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

Scott,

I use Mustangs Plus (for their Magna suspension, no problems there), and Mustangs Unlimited exclusively these days. Their customer service is top notch, and their product lines are the same.

Bill S.

Scott Williams wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Scott,

I think most of the large vendors carry equal quality parts. Many offer free shipping over a certain dollar amount. Laurel Mountain Mustang-$500, NPD-$300, Dallas Mustang-$300. NPD and Dallas seem to have higher prices though. I have bought most of my parts from LMM and have been satisfied. They have the best prices (that I found) on complete interior kits and suspension kits. I bought bumpers from CJ Pony Parts and they look really nice ($172 including shipping w/ bolt kit). My next order is going to Virginia Classic Mustang as I have heard good things about them and they've got good prices. I priced what I need between them and Dallas and they were still cheaper even with Dallas's free shipping. I'm also gonna get a Pertronix from Ponderosa Mustang ($92 including shipping w/coil). Basically I just keep my eyes open for deals. FWIW, there's a vendor called Rocky Mountain Classic Mustang in Centennial, CO. Never used them theough.

Chris

Scott Williams wrote:

Reply to
ChrisR

"Scott Williams" wrote

I've used Mustangs Plus, American Pony, National Parts Depot, Ponderosa Mustang, Mustangs Unlimited, and probably a few others I can't remember. They're all about the same -- no problems except with Mustangs Plus, who supplied a clutch that slipped from day one and a master cylinder that has lasted only two years with very little use. My favorite vendor is a local outfit called Mustang Magic in Fremont California.

But if the local guy is a good guy, like Paul at Mustang Magic in Fremont, it is very useful to have that guy on your team, for repeat business and for all the little bits and pieces you don't think of until you need them. On the other hand, ordering from out of state saves sales tax. Where I live that's an appreciable savings: $8.25 per $100 order.

Materials for a good paint job run about $1,000. So the remaining $4,500 is for all that repetitive labor. 90 hours at $50/hour is really not unreasonable. The thing is, you can do all the prep yourself. It just takes alot of hours and alot of sandpaper.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

I've used most of the vendors at one time or another. I try to use Mustangs Unlimited (Georgia) whenever possible because those guys have excellant customer service AND they all own Mustangs and can answer just about any question I've ever asked. I also always get them next day with UPS where I live. I've probably gotten the very best quality parts from John's Mustang (Houston). They seem to always have the right part when I'm looking for OEM quality. I've spent over $35,000 on parts for various projects over the last two years and only had to send a handful of parts back because of finish or fitment problems.

As far as a paint job goes, I'd say that you are probably in the ballpark for a "good" paint job. I saved alot of money on my '66 by removing the engine, all the glass, interior, and all exterior trim to include bumpers. I also installed all those same items when the job was done. It takes alot of time for them to do that work and the clock is always ticking. My advise is to do everything you can possibly do, yourself, and let the paint shop concentrate on what they do best.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Mustang_66