Req: Repair manual or assistance with 2002 Mustang

Question: Wife's mustang recently started hesitating (sputtering while driving), well tonight it actually quit and we could not get it restarted. The engine turns over fine, but it doesn't seem to be firing (almost like its not getting fuel) -- i'm not very experienced with mustangs --and want to know if this is common among mustangs, and what could be the possible causes (and fixes - without breaking the bank) -- Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
blq_knight

The only real way to repair this concern without throwing part after part at it is to familiarize yourself with proper and logical diagnostic procedures. "Seems like" is NOT a good test result and will have you spending money like a drunken sailor.

I'd start with a code scan - ODDTCs get treated first - and the usual check of the basics.... spark, injector pulse, fuel pressure and work from there.

Sorry I can't be more help but you are about to find out why good techs want good bucks.

Reply to
Jim Warman

First, are you out of warranty ? If not, let the dealer figure it out. They'll come tow it.

If you are out of warranty;

Check the fuelpump first. When you switch your ignition to ON, do you hear the fuelpump buzz for a little bit (like 1 or 2 seconds?) if not, fuelpump is probably shot, or some fuse to it is shot. (also check the safety fuse in the trunk, it's probably not it since it started sputtering first.) Also make sure the fuel-filter is not clogged (replace it, especially if higher miles car) Next step is to check fuelpressure in the engine bay. Buy a fuel pressure tester and measure it after switching key to on (priming fuel system should get the pressure up to around 40psi) If that all works out to be okay you might have some ignition issue. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Reply to
pete