Resistance Across Positive & Negative Cables

I found the culprit drawing 3.8A on my 93 Mustang GT...

The 3-wire connector on the top of the alternator was fried as was the component into which it was plugged.

Once I removed/disconnected the alternator, the draw dropped to 30mA.

I have fully charged my battery, spliced on a new connector and installed a new alternator. I hope I am ready to go.

My plan forward is to monitor the condition of my battery each morning and after any long non-stop trips and if I notice a drop in voltage or amperage, try to determine the cause.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Thanks, again, for all your help!

Joe

Reply to
Joe Colella

[...]

Install a voltmeter gauge, to know battery condition before startup and battery/charging condition going down the road.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

Did you slice the connector pigtail with crimp connectors or did you solder them? They should always be soldered and covered with shrink tube.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

First, crimped, then soldered, then shrink tubed, then taped.

Reply to
Joe Colella

"Joe Colella" wrote

You mean you didn't put them in a non-conductive plastic box, with at least 1/2" clearance all around the wires, fill the box with epoxy, put that box into another corrosion-proof stainless steel box, fill that box with silicone, bolt the assembly to the fenderwell with grade 8 hardware, and finally use some case-hardened steel rods, bent to shape and welded, to build a protective cage around it all?

Kids today... can't do anything right!

Reply to
MasterBlaster