Retrofitting Tach Dash to Standard 69-70 Mustang

I was wondering if any of you could share your wisdom/experience before I begin tearing apart my dash only to perhaps find it won't work.

  1. I have the new Tach dash, COMPLETE WITH CORRECT PRINTED CIRCUIT (as well as the two wire tach lead). Can I just plug it into my sandard dash harness plug and wire the tach manually?

  1. If not, must I change the harness or add sending units? Or is it just a matter of changing the wiring pattern (I hope)? I only have a standard harness and could do rewiring, but adding senders or changing the harness out might be a bit of a challenge. Where are the sending units located? Would I need just a new underdash harness?

Thanks so very much in advance for anything you could share before I attempt this project.

I'll keep checking this board or you can reply directly to t_gatewood at yahoo dot com.

Reply to
T G

The sending units will need to be changed for the idiot light to gauges conversion, and yes, you must also change out the entire wiring harness and engine harness to get this to work properly.

Bill S.

T G wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

And yes that is exactly my my 70 Boss 302 still sports its original non-tach cluster. And no I don't have one of those "big as your head" column mounted tachs either. No factory tach means no tach at all. ME

Reply to
Jos. Burke

Just to add my 2 cents worth,AFAIK,they don't reproduce those under-dash harnesess,so you have to get them used. I have seen a few tach ones selling on eBay,and they sold for about $250 - $300 .

Andrew

Reply to
me