Reverse Lights Help PLZ

Ok, my 89 Mustang's reverse lights for some reason are not working. I have replaced fuses and the 2 flasher fuses. All other lights work except the 4 Turning lights. But I know that the reason that does not work is in the switch in the steering colume. I know that because the Hazards all work and same for everything but the turning. Well, Anyways my question is how can I fix my reverse lights? The switch on the tranmission that I think is also the light switch is working I tested that by putting into drive and turning the car over. I didn't work.... So I do not think it is the switch on the transmission. Could anyone give me some advise? Also I checked the blubs they are all good.

It is a 89 Mustang 2.3L LX Thanks!!

Reply to
Fern Luce

The segment of the switch that operates the back-up lights has squat to do with the starting circuits. Sorry, but my manuals don't go back far enough to help you with wire colours. First thing I would do is (with the key on , engine off and the shifter in reverse.... wheels chocked, naturally) check power and ground at the back-up lights. The correct way to do this is to connect the other end of the test light directly to the battery..... short cuts can and will bite you.

If you have no power, check for power at the switch. If you have power to the switch, jumper the CORRECT contacts to see if the lights come on. In a car this old, there is always the possibility that the bulb sockets are corroded.

BTW, occasionally I have seen bad blubs look good... same thing with bulbs, too.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Fern Luce opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

All the above has no bearing... and I had to read it twice to understand what you said. But your conclusion on the turn signals seems valid.

Um,,, yes... I agree

The switch on the

That MAY be the same physical switch but is not necessarily the same circuit..if it IS the same, you only tested part of it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic