Rough Idle

Hey ppl....

My engine idles rough .....is it necessary for me to get the engine diagnosed at the local pep boys ? or can I just change the sparks ?? the vehicle has 108k and I recently purchased it about 3 weeks ago ... and don't think it has been tuned recently ... do I need a tune up ?? I smell oil burning at high rpm's ...

Another problem I have noticed is the steering shaking ... I did wheel balancing when i changed tires ... the guy said it should fix it but it only reduced the shaking a little.... do I need alignment ? the wheel shakes around 50+ miles ...

my tires are good ....

please advise .... thx!

- Shardool

Reply to
Shardool Karnik

Don't know what car you have, but...

1.) Check/change spark plugs 2.) Check/change plug wires (ignition wires) 3.) Check/correct tire air pressure for all 4 tires 4.) Check driveshaft for dents/dings 5.) Lubricate driveshaft u-joints 6.) Check/replace air filter (or clean & re-oil if K&N style) 7.) Change oil & filter with GOOD OIL FILTER and a full synthetic motor oil.

These are some of the initial steps I'd take to bring the car back to normal. HTH.

-Mike

98 Mustang GT

Reply to
<memset

thanks for the advise .... forgot to mention the car ..... it's a 95 GT Conv. 5.0 with 108k

- Shardool

Reply to
Shardool Karnik

Check distributor too then

Reply to
<memset

Does the 5.0 have a timing belt that wears out?

Reply to
John

Aaah....there is something I do know and can answer ....

No, it has a timing chain which has to break to be replaced and generally it lasts the lifetime of a car...

- Shardool

Reply to
Shardool Karnik

I would also suggest cleaning your Mass Aif Flow Sensor too.

Before you put a bunch of money in it, take it to Pep Boys and have them run it for codes. That may give you a hint. A complete tune up with wires is going to be BIG BUCKS. Not that you aren't due, but....

Your belts should be changed too, if not done already.

Kate

98 Cobra Dop

| > 1.) Check/change spark plugs | > 2.) Check/change plug wires (ignition wires) | > 3.) Check/correct tire air pressure for all 4 tires | > 4.) Check driveshaft for dents/dings | > 5.) Lubricate driveshaft u-joints | > 6.) Check/replace air filter (or clean & re-oil if K&N style) | > 7.) Change oil & filter with GOOD OIL FILTER and a full synthetic motor | > oil. | >

| > These are some of the initial steps I'd take to bring the car back to | > normal. | > HTH. | >

| > -Mike | > 98 Mustang GT | >

| >> My engine idles rough .....is it necessary for me to get the engine | >> diagnosed at the local pep boys ? or can I just change the sparks ?? the | >> vehicle has 108k and I recently purchased it about 3 weeks ago ... and | > don't | >> think it has been tuned recently ... do I need a tune up ?? I smell oil | >> burning at high rpm's ... | >>

| >> Another problem I have noticed is the steering shaking ... I did wheel | >> balancing when i changed tires ... the guy said it should fix it but it | > only | >> reduced the shaking a little.... | >> do I need alignment ? the wheel shakes around 50+ miles ... | >>

| >> my tires are good .... | >>

| >> please advise .... | >> thx! | >>

| >> - Shardool | >>

| |

Reply to
SVTKate
** Aaah....there is something I do know and can answer .... ** ** No, it has a timing chain which has to break to be replaced and generally it ** lasts the lifetime of a car... ** ** - Shardool ** ** ** > Does the 5.0 have a timing belt that wears out?

The 5.0 has a timing chain that wears out, and while it may remain serviceable beyond 100k, it should be replaced at that point, as camshaft timing will become erratic, and it can break or skip a tooth unexpectedly.

Some of the older 5.0's used a nylon-coated crank timing gear that was short-lived. After about 100k, the nylon begins to come apart, ending up as tiny pieces in the oil pan to clog up the intake screen, and the chain soon fails as well. Symptoms usually include sudden engine failure and no restart; often a TFI module failure code will be set. Extensive diagnostics are required to accurately determine the problem.

Newer 4.6L modulars use overhead camshafts and 2 separate double-roller chains with tensioners. These seem to hold up extremely well, and generally never need replacement under normal circumstances.

My advice to you is that if your 5.0 is older than 100,000 miles and is otherwise in good condition (good compression, does not burn oil or use coolant), consider spending a few bucks to change out the timing gear/chain set. The parts run about $30 bucks; the labor can run several hundred, depending on where you have it serviced. This can add many years to the life of the engine, IF and only if it is otherwise in very good mechanical condition.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1997 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams