rust areas on 83 mustang/how is the 3.8 V6

Hi - I am checking into buying an 83 convert - I am wondering what parts of the chassis are most susceptible to rust particularly on the chassis and floors - I took a quick look under it and there is a fair amount of rust on the rear frame rails and the the rear bumper supports

The rest of the car is pretty clean - it is just a 3.8 but I am on a budget and cant afford or find a good 5.0. On that note how did the

3.8 hold up in these cars generally

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated Thanks

Reply to
donsjunkk

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1125805495.402425.96980 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

As I recall, it put out so little power that the only way it could be more reliable would be if it were never started.

Frequently outrun by stock 4speed 2.3 Liters... except when it came to piling up miles between visits to the Gas pump. Then you might just say it's kinda thirsty

I hope you know the difference between cake rust and surface rust. Surface rust doesnt matter much,. flaky cakey rust means look very close.

Under the front driver and passenger side where floor meets the firewall metal. Also check underneath for rear driver and passenger seat mounting, and where floor pan meets the rockers.

Refrig magnets to check the rear wheel flares, and lower skirt behind them

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic