Say.....what size pumpkin is that, anyway?

I've purchased a pretty extensively modified '85 Stang. Unfortunately, the (2nd owner since build) does not have the records from what was done to the car. He says it has 2.73's - believable since it tachs about 1500 at 60 MPH. It still has drum brakes and what appears to me to be a pretty big diff. I want to upgrade the brakes and go 5 lug so I need to know exactly what size diff is in my new craft. How can I tell for sure?

Thanks,

Jason (newbie stang owner)

Reply to
Jason Mc New

John Wiebalk

you could also use this site

also have a calculator on there to get your tire diameter if you dontknow it. You can also

Jack up the rear (both tires not touching, parking brake off, car in neutral-make sure the fronts are chocked so it doesn't roll!). If the drive shaft turns 3.73 times to turn the rear tires once, they are 3.73's.

Reply to
John Wiebalk

Reply to
Gill

These cars had 7.5" rear end stock BUT could have been upgraded to an 8.8" if the car has been modified/updated. The 7.5 has more of an oval rear cover wheras the 8.8 is more square with round corners. There should be a thin tag attached to the rear ends rear cover, this will tell you size as well as gear ratio. if you look real close to the attaching bolt in the cover the code would look like this 2L73 75 which would be a 7.5 ring and pinion with 2:73 gears and traction lock. A 3 08 88 would be an 8.8" ring and pinion open differential with 3:08 gears. The first numbers tell ratio, the letter L designates if it is a traction lock (absence of is open differential) and the next set of numbers is the ring and pinion size. If the rear end has been changed/upgraded the door sticker code will not be acurate.

Hope this is helpful

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Wow, thanks. Yup, that's what I was looking for. I would say it's an 8.8 based on your description.... will have to verify at first opportunity.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Mc New

I can't remember exactly, and it's been a very long time, but the 7.5 seems like it had one bolt in the center on both the top and bottom that was more towards the outside of the case... the 8.8's had two bolts at the top and bottom that were parallel to the ground... if that makes any sense at all.

Maybe that'll help... but go by the tag if there is one.

JS

Reply to
JS

Here is a pretty good web site that might help you identify your Ford rear end.

good nine inch site with a lot more detail.http://www.quickperformance.com/ninecase.htmHope this helps Dennis

03 Black GT
Reply to
Dennis

Do you think if somebody went to the trouble to upgrade to an 8.8, they would leave it a 4 lug system? Seems to me if they were working on a "heavily modified" car it would be heavier axles and 5 lugs... Just a thought.

Reply to
Mustang_66

The only way to know absolutely for certain is to count the teeth on the ring & pinion gears... other methods will "probably" be correct...

Reply to
Mustang_66

If it was a drop-in 8.8 (which it probably was), then yes, I could see that happening. Sometimes, budgeting doesn't allow for the 5-lug axles. It's probably a smarter way to go, but sometimes that gets overlooked in the grand scheme of trying to go fast. Sadly...

JS

Reply to
JS