SFIAS - Quick Update

Went to the South Florida International Auto Show tonight; here's a quick update, some on topic and some off:

a) The '05 Mustang is an awesome car. Yes, the wheels from the V6 should've been offered on the GT in 17" versions. The interior is fabulous. I sat in it for a few minutes, and I loved it. The gauges are fine and everything is right there. The dash is very reminiscent of a '67, but with a totally contemporary update. It's one great car.

b) The Ford GT is nothing short of stunning. It's classic looks are simply timeless. The stained exhaust on the show car said that it's been driven and not just shown. Awesome.

c) The Five Hundred is boring and immediately old. It reminds me of a Toyota Avalon.

d) The '05 GTO is one _bad_ mofo. It now comes with the LS2 sporting

400/400 (hp/torque). And they changed the one thing I hated, which was the single exhaust. There are now two chrome pipes out back. The interior is wonderful with great ergonomics. It still looks pretty mundane, but that's easily forgiven for the LS2.

e) The Cadillac CTS-V is another bad mofo. Sporting the '04 Z06 engine, it's 1/10 of a second slower in the 1/4 mile than the 'Vette. And it has rear seats to boot. Comes with a Tremec 6-speed, no automatic offered. If I were in the market, this would be a serious contender for my money.

f) The Chrysler 300 is the "big car" of the year. All other makers' sedans totally paled when put up against the 300. With RWD plus the Hemi, it's unbeatable in its category.

g) The Hummer H3 will sell like hotcakes. It's just the right size, it's got the traditional Hummer "look", and it's very competitive with the rest of the SUV field.

h) The big surprise of the night was the SSR. It now comes with the LS2, which is the kind of engine it should've had all along. The price tag is ridiculous, but the LS2 just about makes up for it.

Quick comment: '05 will see some great vehicles from just about every maker. This coming year will offer the best variety of performance we've seen in a while. Happy shopping.

Joe

Joe opined

JUST in time for 2.25..2.50 gas

But the GOOD news is the base engine performance/mpg

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic