Shock/Struts

Before I install lowering springs w/CC plates, would it be worth while to replace shock and struts as well?

Reply to
Jeff

With an '01... you'll need to change them within the next year or so anyway, so I would, as a "while you've got it all apart". You'll spend a little more now, but save overall. Yep. Good idea.

Reply to
Wound Up

Damn, more research ;-)

Thanks.

Reply to
Jeff

There is a specific type of spring compressor for used for McPherson struts. Be sure to use that kind, and take your time. You can rent them.

Reply to
Wound Up

SN95 mustangs have the strut separate from the spring. There is no need for that tool.

Reply to
Brent P

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I assumed, bad thing.

Reply to
Wound Up

Excellent.

Reply to
Jeff

Not needed. There is no pressure on the strut. It comes out very easily. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Yeah, sorry Brent P., for any inconvenience this incorrect assumption of mine may have caused. It's still a good idea to swap them out at this point, though.....

Reply to
Wound Up

Not me, the OP... I just posted the correction ;). I've changed the struts and shocks over to bilstiens in my '97 years ago and changed em over on my dad's 99 just a couple months ago.

The only hard part is the top nut on the stock front struts. I was able to break them loose on the car with mine using an impact wrench. On my dad's I had to undo the three small bolts and take it out as an assembly, put the strut shaft in a big vice and then use the impact. Those struts were much more worn than those I took out of my car.

Reply to
Brent P

I see that. Oops. I was tired... =)

I've changed the struts and shocks over to bilstiens in my '97 years ago and changed em

Reply to
Wound Up

Comparatively speaking, how much better are the Bilstiens?

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I found them to be worlds better. Then again, my rears were essentially gone when I made the change. When I had to have my car retrived after having a wisdom tooth removed, my dad drove my car. (the had to put me under) Now with a good deal of wear on the bilstiens. He commented on how much better my mustang felt. When he got around to ordering new struts and shocks he decided to buy them. I don't know how they compare to konis etc... but I've been quite pleased with them and they are still going strong with around 40-50K miles on them.

Reply to
Brent P

Are you just talking about the rear shocks or do your comments include the front struts too? I replaced my rear OEMs with Edlebrock's when it had about 8K on it and I could feel a definite improvement. Still have the factory front struts at 42K.

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

All 6. 2 front, 4 rear.

Reply to
Brent P

oh man, sounds like what I had to do. I removed them from my car, and was unable to get the nut off. I needed the car so put them back. Went to a garage and had them use an impact wrench on it to get it off while in the car. Drove home slowly with the nut loosely on it.

I've seen some newer struts where the top canbe held with an allen wrench. Seems much easier.

Rein

Yep. The bilsteins have a hex on the shaft rather than the slot the stockers have.

Reply to
Brent P