Shocks/struts/springs '94 GT convertible

A week or so ago I asked for recommendations for this. Both JD and Mad DAWG suggested the FRPP M-5400 -A kit. I was curious about the springs in this kit as all the suppliers show a different part number for the '94+ convertibles. I phoned FRPP and the tech essentially said that while you can install this kit on the convertible you will be degrading (his words) the existing system. Unless I completely misunderstood, he said that the drop with the kit springs would at most be a 1/4" and that the sway bars would not be an improvement over the stock pieces in the convertible. (front sway bar is 1 3/16" and the rear is 31/32")

OK, so who has a convertible with a performance suspension system installed and what spring/shock/strut combo did you use? I thought that I had the problem solved with a Tokico suspension kit only to discover that convertibles are the exception with this also. I realize that I can individually purchase springs and shocks/struts that will work but I was hoping to find a performance kit package.

Reply to
Richard
** A week or so ago I asked for recommendations for this. Both JD and Mad DAWG ** suggested the FRPP M-5400 -A kit. I was curious about the springs in this ** kit as all the suppliers show a different part number for the '94+ ** convertibles. I phoned FRPP and the tech essentially said that while you can ** install this kit on the convertible you will be degrading (his words) the ** existing system. Unless I completely misunderstood, he said that the drop ** with the kit springs would at most be a 1/4" and that the sway bars would ** not be an improvement over the stock pieces in the convertible. (front sway ** bar is 1 3/16" and the rear is 31/32")

Your source is misinformed. Unless your '94 convertible is 800 lbs. lighter than an '01 Bullitt, I take exception. The 5400 kit also uses linear springs, not softer progressives that your '94 came with, which are much more performance oriented. Sway bar diameter measurements aren't applicable; some suspension sets utilize smaller, softer swaybars that more closely match the spring and shock rates, and are designed to maximize traction while minimizing body roll. In this case, the springs are MUCH firmer than yours, therefore the swaybars must be smaller; if they are too large, a harsh ride and inside wheel lift during cornering will happen. The only way to go, is with a MATCHED SUSPENSION, specific to the vehicle type.

Check the front/rear weight rating of your '94. Mine is 2452/2140 on the GWVR. Is yours close? I ended up with a perfect 7/8" drop front and rear with this kit, and a big difference in the way it handled. No bumpsteer problems, no CC plates needed, and it's all OEM Ford Mustang.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

The front/rear rating on my '94 is 2363/2072 GAWR. Am I correct to assume that the lighter rating will result in a smaller drop not that that is an issue? Like you said I should be looking for a matched suspension system specific to my car. I understand that the M5400A kit gives me this but I'm bothered by the fact that FRPP shows a different spring for the convertible. Should it not follow that there should be matched shocks/struts/swaybars for the convertible springs? If I understand you, the M5400A is the matched set for both coupes and convertibles. Hmmm. Hadn't thought about it in these terms before.

Richard

Reply to
Richard
** The front/rear rating on my '94 is 2363/2072 GAWR. Am I correct to assume ** that the lighter rating will result in a smaller drop not that that is an ** issue? Like you said I should be looking for a matched suspension system ** specific to my car. I understand that the M5400A kit gives me this but I'm ** bothered by the fact that FRPP shows a different spring for the convertible. ** Should it not follow that there should be matched shocks/struts/swaybars for ** the convertible springs? If I understand you, the M5400A is the matched set ** for both coupes and convertibles. Hmmm. Hadn't thought about it in these ** terms before. ** ** Richard

It sounds as though your vert is a little lighter by about 100 lbs per side. (The GVWR is actually a combination of spring and tire capacities.) This isn't enough to cause any concern, and will translate into 1/12 - 1/16" ride height higher than mine. My front and back dropped 7/8" inch; your ride height will be nearly identical to mine.

You see, this kit doesn't use progressive springs, as you have now. Progressive springs are very weight sensitive, because it is easier to compress the first inch or two of travel, than it is the last inch. Because your convertible's front/rear weight balance is different than others, and it is equipped with OEM progressive springs (400-500 lb. front, 165-265 lb. rear for future reference), Ford will show a different set of springs for 1994 coupes and 1994 convertibles.

Linear rate springs are a whole different animal. They compress at a fixed rate, regardless of ride height. In this case, 600 lbs. front, 275 lbs. rear. This means that if you place a 1200 lb. load on the front of the car (600 lb. per spring X 2 sides), the front end will drop down 1.00" inch. Same analogy for the back. 100 lbs. one way or the other isn't going to make any appreciable difference at all.

Fear not: go with the Bullitt setup. Be warned: these are not the baby-ass soft springs you're used to. This kit is a dramatic step-up in handling. This kit will give you very firm handling and impressive road manners, but will still offer you a very decent, comfortable 'around town' ride as well. And I guarantee you: you WILL be impressed. Ask around. Dozens here have installed this set with very good results.

Take a look at Charlene to get a better idea of how your ride height will be:

7/8" inch may not seem like a whole lot of drop to you, but it was dramatic to me. It isn't too much, and not too little. It's just enough that you can tell *something* was done to it, but you're not really quite sure *what*. It doesn't screw up your steering geometry or keep you away from speed bumps. It still looks pretty-much stock to those who don't know what they're looking at, but the proof's in the driving. You'll spend hours trying to wipe the silly smile off your face after the first time you zip around the block. Car ramps will still work fine, the front end won't drag on the driveway lip, and speed bumps or car wash rails have never been a problem for me.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

Thank you JD. Would have responded sooner but have been out of town the past

1 1/2 weeks.

Richard

shocks/struts/swaybars

Reply to
Richard
** Thank you JD. Would have responded sooner but have been out of town the past ** 1 1/2 weeks. ** ** Richard

Ah. I wondered where you dropped out to. Let us all know how it turns out, if you go with the 5400. Be sure that it gets aligned by a good tech when you're done, and be sure to see my tech article that explains how to modify the strut towers so that they can easily dial in your camber angle.