Slightly OT: Ford Taurus

I'm looking for a beater car... tired of making my 98 GT a daily driver.. it's a tiny bit over 100k miles now & I'm still considering a Vortech blower... 6~8psi boost intercooled max. though... anyway.. I was wondering what kind of gas mileage some Ford Taurus's get.. anybody know? More than likely older ones... early-mid 90's I imagine. Haven't looked around yet, but I kinda like those cars.. would make a good beater.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Personally I'd stay away from the Taurus/Sable. I've had very good luck with mid

90's Escorts as the 1.9 motors are extremely long lived and they get extremely good mileage. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

I'll check out some Escorts then too. Thanks. My g/f's dad has an old Taurus... runs pretty good still. I really need the gas mileage though.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Get yourself an 80's celica. Cheap, most have all the options (get a GT-S), mine gets 30mpg, and is one of the most reliable vehicles i've ever had.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

opined in news:mFyhc.350$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com:

What you want is a 95 Taurus 3.0 with the AX4N tranny (May also be marked "SHO").

It is HIGHLY reliable!!! I would bet the repair records are better than the equiv Camry or Accord.

(The Headgasket prob is the 3.8, the troublesome tran is the AX4S)

Most awful thing about it is it's not a mustang.

About 27 MPG

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

3.0 Taurus is OK, Escorts are pretty good except for a vibration they all have (just live with it, like poor heating in an air cooled bug).

But whatever you do, stay away from the Contour! Many issues, and repair costs will bring you to your knees.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf

Ah.. thanks for the warning a/b Contours!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset