Slightly OT: Question about an F-150

I have a couple of questions about a 2005 F-150 SXT that I fairly recently bought (and love BTW). It did not come with factory Power Windows and Door locks, as they are only available on an XLT package. I would really like to have these, can the vehicle be upgraded to them? Where would I find the parts and an installer as well?

I thought I could live with manual windows & locks, and the windows aren't that big of a deal, but reaching all the way across the seat to open the passengers door is a real pain. It is long reach and the center console gets in the way. Upgrading to power mirrors would be nice if that is doable as well.

TIA for any answers or pointers.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Same as with any other car, the answer is yes, if your wallet is big enough.

Windows will require cervo motors and ALOT of rework behind the door panel.

Mirrors are fairly easy, you just have to buy the power mirrors and have someone wire in the controller (or do it yourself).

Locks are pretty cheap, usually they can just put in some cheap $20 actuators under the pins.

Any good alarm/stereo shop will be able to do all three for you, its just a matter of finding one that wont rape you on cost.

Expect the windows to be $1000+ per door, mirrors to be about $400 installed, and doors about $250. The doors may require you to buy an alarm (for the remote pickup piece), so maybe another $200 for a viper.

Reply to
japhar81

Here's a power window kit for $250, add $50+ for switches and wiring. If you're fairly mechanically minded it should be doable.

If you can, get the Ford part number for the mirrors you want, plug it into this site and save a few $$ on real Ford parts.
You can also browse the catalogs. Under the "Body Parts" catalog browse: 2004 (there isn't much 2005 info yet), Ford, F150 New Style, Front Door, Outside Mirror and you'll see Electric, Manual, and Power styles.

Finding out if the 2004 mirrors would work is another call to the local Ford folks. While you're calling them, get the part numbers for any switches, door switch plates (for the power window and mirror controls), etc. That should keep a factory look.

If you're lucky the truck is pre-wired for the power accessories and it will almost be plug-and-play electrically speaking. I swapped the standard mirrors for the turn-signal heated tow mirrors on my brother's 2004 SuperDuty and it was pre-wired for the heat and turn signals. Those mirrors from that site was around $400...the local Ford retail price was over $600.

Door locks would be an relatively inexpensive add-on if you got an alarm as japhar81 said.

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

Hey ZW,

I'm not trying to pick on you... seriously... but, was the XLT that much more expensive or did it have a bunco of other stuff that you didn't want.

Just curious. I know I'll never get another vehicle without powere everything if I can help it and wondered why you did.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate