slightly OT: thread dressing

well, since i do own a mustang ('04 mach 1), i guess it's kinda relevant. i mostly hang around here in lurk-n-learn mode...

anyway, i'm gonna change the trans fluid (5 sp) this weekend -- just can't wait for spring. i wanna be ready to roll.. my Helm's gives a ford part for thread dressing, and warns of the importance of using it. of course -- i wouldn't _not_ use it.

i was just wondering, is it OK to use one of the better `consmer grade' thread dressings available? any words of caution as i head to the auto parts store?

Reply to
bitbucket

What on earth is "thread dressing"? There's teflon thread sealant for pipe fittings and such ( which is probably what you're after), there's LocTite for fasteners prone to vibration and there's anti-sieze compound (and no... you never, ever use this on wheel studs ).... along with a herd of other things you can put on threads.... clarity is one key to effective communication.

Our Ford store uses KleenFlo teflon thread sealant simply because the packaging/applicator is conveneient. White lead thread sealant will probably work acceptably or you could cheap out and install the plug dry with no ill effects.

Reply to
Jim Warman

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:31:08 GMT, Jim Warman wrote: | What on earth is "thread dressing"? There's teflon thread sealant for pipe | fittings and such ( which is probably what you're after), there's LocTite | for fasteners prone to vibration and there's anti-sieze compound (and no... | you never, ever use this on wheel studs ).... along with a herd of other | things you can put on threads.... clarity is one key to effective | communication.

thanks, Jim, for not letting me get away with making shit up. and thanks for clearing up a few items for me... yea -- i think thread sealer will work for me.

Reply to
bitbucket