Smokin! Brakes, that is

A brake question, thankfully not about the Mustang, but the family minivan.

First, the background: Had a brake job done on it by our mechanic about two weeks ago, so the pads and rotors are still fairly new with only a couple hundred miles on them. Coming down a 12% grade near my house this morning I had to do some serious threshold braking to avoid a moron pulling out in front of me. Made it home safely despite greatly reduced braking capability, but the left front brake was smoking and smelled terrible, and the right front was really hot (but not yet smoking).

So, the question is: Does smoking fairly new brakes completely ruin their braking ability, or will they be fine once they cool down? I'm concerned that it might have glazed the the pads, contributed (along with heavy rain and big puddles) to rotor warping, or something along those lines.

If they're permanently toast, I'm (carefully) taking it back to the shop to have them redo it. If they'll be fine in a little while, I'm not going to worry. :) If I won't be able to tell until I drive it next, I guess I'll have to wait.

Thanks!

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Garth Almgren opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Yep, smaoking in itself means little; you'll have to wait, check for pulling and pedal pulsing.

Frankly, there are at least 3 grades of pads and at least 2 of rotors...

The BEST reason for doing your own brakes is that you can then afford to use the best materials... and it aint all that hard to do.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic