so I visted a ford dealer tonight...

I stopped in and looked at the GT500 they had on the floor comparing what was different suspension and braking wise compared to the shelby GT next to it (the warmed over mustang GT for nearly 10 grand extra on the appendix sticker). Eventually a sales guy notices me... I ask immediately if they are still surcharging for it. This knocks him a bit off balance. He says they are still going above sticker... limited production of 1,000 units a year.... same old story. Then tells me every make surcharges like this... arg. Another sales guy joined in, I said I'll wait until they aren't being surcharged any more... And I didn't like the color... actually I don't like any of the colors. I could probably learn to like the grabber orange.. but that's like saying 'look at me to the cops'.

1,000 units... my ass. I've seen wayyyyyyy too many of them in person and far far and away too many advertised for there to be that few. I can't find a production value online but it isn't that low... It would just be nice their sales personel (not to mention ford itself with it's broken promises) wouldn't try BS.

There's a reason I haven't bought a car in so long and this is a big part of it.

Lol... found it on ebay... car at that dealership... they want 5 grand over sticker.

Reply to
Brent P

I wonder when Hertz will start selling their used rental units?

Reply to
Scott in SoCal

Don't forget that every Hertz Shelby has auto, not stick.

Reply to
Bob Willard

The plus side is the Hertz units are the only ones with any likelihood of becoming truly collectible in the future.

Reply to
Scott in SoCal

They are all future collectibles, everything ford's marketing says is special will be worth 6 figures or more in today's money... that's what ford marketing wants everyone to believe....

The only way any of them will be collectable is the way that people sell some of their old cars today.... it's only one six of 1968 hardtops with a 390V8, 3spd, dogdish hubcaps, green interior, red exterior, and power brakes! There are so many 'special' mustangs that aren't really all that special which in sum total are alot of cars.

To me, the GT500 is a mustang with a bigger engine, bigger brakes and some mild suspension upgrades... ok, theres the appearance package too. Maybe I am wierd because I view it and the other 'special' mustangs as just options in the entire line, the way most of the original mustang variants were. It's not like these cars are built to satisify some racing rule like the BOSS 302 or BOSS 429 were. Its not like the cars will become rare because most of them will be used up and crushed like mach 1's were. Most of the GT500s and other special mustangs of this era won't be used up and destroyed... people were told they were special so they will be used sparingly and a good number will be sealed up in bubbles like some collectable coin.

I just don't see any reason they will be anything like the cars of the

60s.
Reply to
Brent P

And if he'd "noticed" you a moment sooner you'd be bitching he was all over you.

Yeah, most people don't reveal they're looking at more car than they can afford in the second they open their mouth.

Heard- "I can't afford it, but this is why I'd like you to believe I'm not buying it".

You wouldn't want them to lag behind some of their "prospective customers", would you...?

Sure.

And...?

"If you don't deserve a car like this, or if it's simply beyond your means, perhaps I can show you something more modest...?" -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

(a bunch of shit)

are you always a douchebag, or only when you post to Usenet?

Reply to
N8N

Ok Nate, I looked at gpstroll's post... when you snip him like that I know it has to be funny.

lol.... I guess gpstroll missed this:

Scott posted it.

Reply to
Brent P

I don't know squat about Shelbys or GT500s....but sure remember when I ordered my '06 GT. My "home town" dealer wanted $5000 over sticker to order it.........I went to an Autonation dealership and got if for $4000 under sticker.

Am wondering how the price of gas will motivate some dealers to well while they can!

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Excellent points! It's so true nobody knew the older 60's Mustangs would be so sought after so little efforts were made to maintain there integrity. Also these cars became legends out in the field so to speak were as these newer models are riding on their reputation, pun intended. I personally feel let down from Ford after speaking to a few of their reps at the Auto Show stating they were going to meet the demands of the consumer producing as many Shelby's as the consumers wanted, hence no production numbers. Maybe that was the case with Ford but not Shelby? Who knows, then Ford can still produce their own legends with out him. I am so fed up with Shelby's tactics I would rather own a Saleen.

Reply to
ND

The funny thing is I think his little head would asplode if he knew how much my house was worth. Of course, you could possibly make the case that you'd have to be a dumbass to buy real estate near DC in the first place, but I have this thing about being jobless and homeless...

nate

Reply to
N8N

I'm just going to go through what I know, so don't feel insulted if I cover something simple ;)

There's the Shelby GT500 mustang, that's the one actually priced about right invoice/MSRP wise with the supercharged 5.4L, then there is the shelby GT mustang.. which is really a mustang GT with a couple upgrades and an appearance package... going for way too much MSRP wise over the GT imo but I guess shelby's name badge does that. Dealers are then adding significant premiums on both. How they find people dumb enough to pay it I don't know. A GT500 at invoice would be great, at sticker it's a so-so deal. Go above sticker and it's just buy something else that isn't carrying the compromises of a basic V6 sporty car territory.

Beyond that... then there's the GT500KR, that I found is the one where there are going to be 1000 made, I do not know what sticker is, six figures is what I saw on ebay. But beyond there is the GT350H which is the hertz car scott mentioned and few other mustang variants listed on shelby's website.

Now that's just what carries the shelby badge. Ford also has the bullit and then there is a mach 1 in the works. Furthermore there has been a rebirth of the GT/CS nameplate. I figure twister specials and high country specials can't be far away. I vaguely recall seeing something online about a twister special. Throw into this mix the saleen and roush mustangs and their multiple levels. I know I've missed some, but there are just so many 'special' and 'collectable' mustangs now that I can't see any of them being special in the long run.

Reply to
Brent P

If they're going to make ordinary cars with fancy appearance upgrades, they ought at least to be fun, like the Terlinguas:

There is a history behind that name that doesn't really exist in the same way for most of the others.

Reply to
Frank ess

But how many of the Hertz versions were produced? Probably not too many, and many of those will be destroyed by renters. :) The ones that survive will be pretty rare, I'm guessing.

Cars of the 60s don't hold a candle to modern cars in terms of power, handling, or safety. I love the shape of the C3 Corvettes, but when it came time to buy one I never even considered any of them.

Reply to
Scott in SoCal

What's your take on the Saleen Parneli Jones? I really like it although imo all Mustang's are diluted by the gluttony of to many variations.

Nick

Reply to
ND

Nobody has a crystal ball or any guarantees on future investments for that matter. It's like trying to predict the weather. Just cause something has a history doesn't mean its worth allot, good example the Shelby CSX the Chrysler era or better yet error. Just because its rare doesn't make it worthy either, example the Bricklin.

Today's modern cars wont hold a candle to tomorrows. Just hope you have a fuel source to drive your classics otherwise they make for a large piece of yard artwork.

Nick :)

Reply to
ND

I was a Parnelli fan in the Trans-Am era, and still get a thrill when the cars show up at vintage racing events. Seems to me Saleen did a good job of dragging some of that ethos onto the S197. I haven't looked at prices for a few months, but my memory is that they are expensive but not as much as the Shelbys.

Realistically, some who buy them will be quite pleased and store or drive them without alteration, but a real nut will make some changes to suit his uses or taste. Everyone has to decide if - for same or similar money - they could come up with a car that fits them better, and if they'd be satisfied with a good performer that doesn't have the "mystique" of the aftermarket-name modifiers. I liked the "Minilite-inspired" wheels enough to find and buy some (powder coated black), but don't need the horsepower, color, and decals.

But I /do/ like the Saleen PJ Mustang as a concept with genuine battle medals, and I like to look at the cars. They just don't fit any position in my current circumstances.

Reply to
Frank ess

I think almost all of them will survive. They won't be dumped at some rental car auction like the '66s were.

That doesn't matter. Most of them were used up, crushed, dumped on used car lots, etc. Special ones were built,sold,driven, etc with little care. I remember seeing a BOSS 429 just sitting outside some little speed shop in Harvey in the 80s. Sitting outdoors with little protection. Nobody touched it. For those that don't know Harvey started going down hill in the late 60s. The mall the blues brothers drive through is in harvey. The ruin of that mall is still there today. It's been closed since at least 1978.

Reply to
Brent P