Solve The Idle Problem From Hell -- Win a Prize!

I have not.

One was changed a few months ago. It tripped a code. But the new sensor didn't affect/change the idle problem at all.

It is the weirdest thing. I just can't nail down when it does it. Some days the car runs flawless and others the idle keeps reving up.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

It does have A/C. But powering the A/C on or turning it off has no affect.

I too, quite a while back, thought the A/C might affect the idle, but as with everything other hunch I've tried, nothing has worked.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Michael,

I might have to try another one because I'm out of ideas.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

innews:TP6dnfCYKob9veXanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'm afraid at some point I may run out of things to try and just tear the whole top end off -- plenum, egr, t/b -- inspect everything and then put it all back together.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Two votes for IAC valve... hmmm.... I may try that, again.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Another option is putting back in the original 1993 computer, because that year computer spits out more codes than the older A9L.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I will look at that. Thanks!

I always use Top Tier gas. And often the car runs soooooo good/ smooth.

I did that not too long ago. The idle problem remained.

The O2s are fairly new.

At times I can almost feel the problem through the gas pedal. Like click, and idle changes. Other times, it like someone is running it by remote control; the idle will just rev up and stay there, and sometimes it'll go back down.

I think the car is haunted.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Now four votes for an IAV. I think I'm going back to the Ford dealer.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I already tried that. It didn't work.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I did this. All was well.

Nothing has ever been spliced on this car.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

innews:TP6dnfCYKob9veXanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Put a code reader in the car and carry it at all times. When the problem occurs connect it up and pull the codes. This might give you a clue.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I have to admit this is an interesting thread, The OP has been convinced he dare not touch that idle screw yet if I read it right, he's considering tearing the whole induction system off and putting it back on if nothing else works. I just hope he doesn't touch that idle screw in the process.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

+1 for the IAC. I've seen similar problems on each of three Fox - bodies, and each time the IAC solved my problem. I also gotten great results spending half an hour and half a spray can of carb cleaner on the existing IAC, although the last IAC (new) shouldn't have that problem.
Reply to
Jim C

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:b37e3626-8b96-429d-a248- snipped-for-privacy@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

helped/worked.

Hi Patrick,

actually every connection is 1/2 of a splice as it involves crimping the terminal to the wire. If the connection is made by crimping over the insulation instead of on the bare wire it may work for a while or be intermittent (unfortunately, I've had this happen to me) and a pain in the butt to find and fix. Another remote possibility is a chaffed wire that makes contact when it passes through a bulkhead (firewall) or touches bare metal. I've seen them where the contact is made only when the vehicle is running or someone is in them.

cheers, chuck...

Reply to
Chuck...

Hello Patrick -

Ever fix this yet?

Just a couple of questions - AIC and TPS - you buy them from Ford or Autozone etc....

TPS - when you installed it did you check the voltage? (Should be set to ~1.0 Volts)

Like Michael Johnson suggested, a 15 y/o these are normal problems. My

1990 has a few idle issues when cold and I'm almost sure it's the IAC. And I don't drive it as a daily driver anymore (and come to think of it had better change the oil today - embarrassed how many months - not miles though - have passed since last change)

And just throwing this out there since it's cheap enough...when was the last time you changed the PCV? (thinking along lines of vacuum relted issues ...

One last thing....the linkage...springs etc to the throttle body...they still have their tension and have you checked is anything physically binds? TB not closing all the way cause it's got junk/ buildup in there?

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

yup, old PCV can screw things up a lot, and it is not easy to replace. Forgot what problems it causes........ On the 93 I replaced all the vacuum hoses, some were hard brittle and cracked I had a problem with the throttle cable sticking some, but when I got a rebuilt put in we straitened out the cable.

The idle seems too high, mine goes to 1000 and drops to 800 stays there. TPS? Sticky TB valve inside Air Bypass gunked up

Let us know what you find.

Reply to
Boris