Some New Whoa Power!

Gotta love new technology! Pretty freaking cool, huh?!

It's all over for brake pads and discs. Scientists have invented an amazing 'contactless' braking system that uses invisible magnetic forces to bring your car to a halt. What's more, it's set to revolutionise motoring, as in theory it can be used to power the wheel, too.

The system is known as 'eddy current braking', and it has already proved reliable on rollercoasters around the world for the past 20 years. "The advantage is that there are no moving parts to break down or pads to wear out," said Dr Mark Thompson, an expert from Harvard University, USA. He built the eddy current brakes for the Jurassic Park ride at Universal Studios.

But now US component giant Visteon has patented a design that could be used on cars. The key part is a metal collar that goes around the axle behind the wheel, fixed to the frame of the vehicle. The collar has a series of protrusions sticking out of it. Coils of wire are wrapped tightly around each of these, so when an electrical current is passed through them, a magnetic field is created around the axle.

If the force is strong enough, it can stop the axle spinning. Working in reverse, it's even capable of starting the wheel moving again. John Stubbs, head of technology at the AA Motoring Trust, told us: "It's a good solution because everything that uses friction is bound to wear out sooner or later. This will be one less maintenance operation."

Motorists will still push the middle pedal to slow down, and Visteon's system also features a normal brake for emergencies in case the electrics fail.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Which website did I see this on last week. It sounds like a direct quote IIRC. It is a cool idea though.

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

What no brake dust? You bunch of fairy wimps.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

LOL!!!!

My wheels are COVERED in brake dust *sigH*. Simple Green is having trouble getting it all off... I had to use Gojo hand cleaner ;D. Worked, but was a PITA!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

What happens if you electrical system goes out while in motion?

Reply to
Matthew B. Tepper

One big problem though, Patrick. What's the source of power? Whether or not you use electromagnetic force or plain old friction, the amount of energy required to stop a 3000+ pound vehicle within an acceptable safe didsance will remain constant. The cool thing though is if there's enough energy to stop a vehicle using that technology, you could also get enough energy to power an electrical supercharger! And we know that's not possible with current vechicle electrical systems. The theory sounds great, but what's the proposed power source? Got any links?

Thanks for another good post!

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

Reply to
John McDermott

Groovy... I was just at wal-mart.. looks like I'll pay 'em another visit. Thanks!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Maybe they do like the electric hybrids do and use the wheel's rotating force as a power source?

I work with electric commuter trains (anyone that works or plays in Long Island has probably ridden on a new LIRR car... that's our only current US project) and the braking is mainly a dynamic brake, where they turn the motor into a generator and then run the electricity generated from the motor through resistors or to the rest of the car as needed. This slows the car down quite nicely - however, there is already electric motors that drive the wheels, so that's easy to adapt. Nothing like that exists on any current passenger car save for the hybrids and true electrics...

JS

Reply to
JS

Reply to
David E. Willson

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

Yes, but with better gripping force, less maintenence, less parts (no brake lines, master cylinder, calipers/rotors) this technology is very promising.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

But you will still have all that stuff because you will still need to have REAL brakes for the many times when the eddy current brakes don't provide high enough braking effort. Such times are typically when you are at slow speeds and emergency situations. Are you will to NOT have real brakes when coming up to an intersection? At slow speeds eddy current brakes are practically useless. And instead of having just ONE brake system to maintain you will wind up with TWO of them to maintain. Sure, I know, the "new" system will never need to be worked on, the sensors and coils and extra bearings will never wear out or break.

These kinds of brakes, like jake brakes on big trucks, and the reverse current brakes on trains are great when you have massive weights to bring to a stop or at least need to control on downhills. For typical passenger cars you just don't need them, esp since you will still need the regular braking system anyway.

I could be wrong but it sounds like a vastly overblown system for regular car use to me aside from what you would use on a hybrid vehicle where you actually recapture the energy.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

Patrick opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Dont throw away your "lifetime" pad warranties yet....

SOme background:

The basic physics call for very little sophistication, just some elementary switching components, HOWEVER it is wise to remember that any given braking effort (regardless of method used) produces approximately the same amount of heat.

I would think this would work more effectively in a hybrid car where the braking EMF could be used as battery charge, in addition to the motor's braking effect.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic