SOOO.... Who Won? '97 Vert vs. '95 Caprice...?

(BLOOMINGTON, Ind., Saturday, November 1, 2003) -- An Indiana University student riding in his roommate's convertible was killed when the car crashed while traveling at 120 miles per hour during a drag race, police said.

Jeffrey Maiatico, 20, likely died from blunt force trauma to his head in the accident early Friday along Indiana 446. Maiatico, an IU junior from New Jersey, was wearing his seat belt.

His roommate, Daipayan Banerjee, 21, was driving his 1997 Ford Mustang convertible when the accident occurred, leaving him with minor injuries, said Sgt. Russell Brummett of the Monroe County Sheriff's Department.

Banerjee was racing a 1995 Chevrolet Caprice driven by Patrick J. McBride,

21, north along Indiana 446 with when both Bloomington men lost control of their vehicles and crashed separately.

Banerjee's Mustang traveled off the highway, flipped at least once, became airborne, and struck a tree before coming to rest.

The car's impact was so great it left marks on the tree as much as 15 feet high, and the Mustang's battery was thrown from the car with such force that it struck the side of a nearby house, Brummett said.

McBride, who was not hurt, faces misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and being involved in a speed contest.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Reply to
Trainfan1

No... He was killed in a Street Race, not a drag race. I hate how people and the media seem to group those two very different things together.

Reply to
Phyrestang

Reply to
John Wiebalk

Dumb-asses.

One of the nice things about organized drag races is that the game ends about 1400 feet after it starts. Only the really really fast people get to 120 MPH.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

That's what it's called in police lingo.

It could also be exhibition of speed.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Oh I thought that's only when you spin your tires for a few seconds at a stoplight? ;-)

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS (now sitting in my driveway 'cause some asshole ran me off the road!!!!)

C. Olofsson

That is referred to as exhibition of acceleration I think.

Gumby619

Reply to
Gumby619

This is "Unnecessary Noise with Motor Vehicle Tires", which I have been ticketed twice for.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

"Dana Myers" wrote in a message:

The nice thing about organized drag races is the fact that you can hammer your car for all it's worth and not have to worry about a ticket. There are some that actually go faster than that in the 1/4 mile. At Beaver Springs Dragway, there was a 64 T-Bolt clone that went 7.90@171, and Andy Jensen also known as the "Master of Faster" has run 7.60@ around 180 without the juice. I've been told that if he uses the bottle, it will go 200 MPH in the

1/4 mile, all in a street legal vette. Then there is a friend of mine that has a Ford 306 powered 66 Triumph Spitfire that has run 10.292@129.16, and another friend that runs a 23T altered with a BBC that has run a 8.46@155.54, and another friend that runs a Vega with a small block that has run 9.99@135.00. Now if you want to see and feel what real HP is like, go to a NHRA national event and watch the Top Fuel and Funny Cars run. If you sit in the first few rows of the grand stands, you can actually feel the effects of the exhaust. It feels like someone running a jack hammer on your chest! I made the mistake of standing at the retaining wall to try and get a photo of an alcohol funny car doing a burn out, at Moroso Motorsports Park, when I lived down in Fla. Needless to say, it was difficult to hold the camera steady!
Reply to
GEB

Who one? the people that lived

Reply to