Sorry I've been so quiet lately...

Been busy.

I've been doing something I really love to do - looking at Mustangs.

As you all know (or should), the Princessmobile has been sold. This was the

1988 LX convertible, 4-cylinder/5-speed, that I bought originally for my daughter, and which later became my "spare car". Although I sold it recently, it left me with a profound love of driving topless.

What I wanted was the best of both worlds - a convertible with somewhat more than four cylinders. Looked at quite a few locally, considered flying out to St.Paul to see a triple-black GT, and then finally found a beauty in New Jersey! Just picked it up yesterday.

I am BEAMING!

Threw a little webpage together:

Forgivethe hasty construction, but I wanted to get some pictures up. I now have TWO Mustangs again. Two '93's. Two 5.0's.

Decisions, decisions.

dwight '93 LX 5.0 hatchback '93 GT 5.0 convertible (Life is good.)

Reply to
dwight

I've always loved that color. Nice find, looks very clean. Dave

90 GT Conv. AOD Flowmasters K&N front end crunched 00 GT Conv. AOD Flowmasters Yes, Both are blue !
Reply to
Dave

That's a pretty baby! Let's hear it for mild days and goin' topless!

I hope that we hit some warm spots on our adventure where I can drop the top and enjoy the trip.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Ok, that illicates what I would call NOT exactly a pretty picture!!

Again, not exactly what I was looking for, but the car is very nice. :oP

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

After looking a 2nd time I notice the Escape at the bottom, how does Wifey like it so far? I bought a Murano and was surprised when I looked at it and am surprised I still like it so much.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Hah! She absolutely loves it. I would have never pictured her in a sport-ute, but I don't tell her what "car" she can and cannot have. To me, it's honkin' huge, even though it's the small Ford SUV. (You can see how it towers over the Frog.)

It is a beautiful truck, though. And she feels much more secure in it, and that's important.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

"dwight" wrote in news:bp8c4g$1lunfs$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-40295.news.uni-berlin.de:

Sweet! Way to go, old man.

Joe

Very nice Dwight..................

Bill S.

dwight wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

SVTKate and topless in the same sentence. I am going to be thinking about that the rest of the day while I am working on the damn car.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Yeah, Joe - a walk on the dark side. GT.

Between all the plastic cladding and the convertible top, this car drives much heavier than the Frog. I've got the LX set up as a pure driver's car - relatively much more nimble, much quicker, much better at tight turns.

The convertible is a much nicer cruise; the LX is pure fun. That's what I meant by "decisions, decisions".

:()

Reply to
dwight

"dwight" wrote in news:bp8vea$1lsd20$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-40295.news.uni-berlin.de:

Ah, it's not all that dark. Maybe just a bit in the shadows... At least it's a convertible GT. ;) Great color combo, btw.

Well, being a convertible, it _is_ heavier. What, by about 600 pounds or so?

I forgot - did you do any suspension mods to the frog? Does it have subframe connectors?

Isn't it nice to have the ability to decide what mood your drive will be? BTW, dwight, get some subframes on the GT if they're not there already.

Best of luck with the new addition. Enjoy!

Joe

Whoa, look what Dwight found. Looks like Reef Blue (PD). I really like that color...next to Teal that is. FWIW, Ford produced 671 GT convertibles in that color for 1993. Real nice find Frog...

Two thumbs up for the sexy fox...

-- Mike

93 Cobra

Reply to
Mike R

Very nice, Dwight!

How are you liking that AOD?

As far as the Escape goes, I had one as a rental in Hawaii back on my engagement trip. I put several hundred miles all over the Big Island. I liked it, considering the options.

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I'm thinking of replacing the black top with light grey, to match the "titanium" trim panels. Too pimp?

Easily. And I've gained a couple of pounds since '93, too.

Subframes, lower chassis bar, strut tower brace. Koni Reds front and rear. Polyurethane bushings throughout. Lowering springs, about 3/4" drop. There's never a moment's doubt in the turns.

Absolutely. Hell, that was the very first thing I did with the Princessmobile, and that thing didn't even have an engine! No worries, I'll have it improved in no time.

Thanks, Joe!

dwight (The ashtray lid AND the fog lamps all work. Amazing...)

Reply to
dwight

I can't stop taking it "around the block". Even though it was only in the high 40s this morning, I had to put the top down and cruise. My feet were toasty, my hands frozen.

My left leg keeps asking if there's anything it can do. I don't think the vert will become my daily commuter, but the automatic is sure nice in traffic. Still, I like the total control that a stick affords me and it's great to have the choice.

Jean did rent one earlier this year - the bright yellow. Apparently, she really liked it, too. I was pushing her to trade in the '99 Mystique and finally convinced her to get something she liked. Enter Escape! It's a lease (Ford's recent special at $259/month) and she had to sacrifice leather seats to get that price, but she is like a kid with a new toy. Every day, she points out some other feature to me (I'm still working on the concept of a

6-disc in-dash CD changer).

Speaking of the '99 Mystique, I was shocked to find out that its book value was only in the high $3K area! Those cars didn't hold up well. To whit - the book value on the '93 GT convertible was higher than the 5-year-old Mercury, with leather seats and power everything.

In the end, we decided to NOT trade the Mystique in on the Escape, and, instead, we're selling it to Princess, whose '99 Escort in turn is being sold to The Boy. We're playing vehicular dominoes. The Boy had bought a 1988 Plymouth Horizon for $500 (which I promptly dubbed The Anticar), and it gave out after six months. He just had that POS hauled off as scrap.

So the whole household is driving new wheels. (But I have the fun ones.)

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Interesting, now that you bring this up. I was told it was teal (the New Jersey vehicle registration called it "green"), but it seems much bluer than the teal I remember looking at in 1993. I'll have to check the door tag (embarrassed to admit that I haven't yet) and do a little research. I'm the third owner, I believe, and it doesn't "come with papers."

Yeah, sexy fox with Old Man Chickenlegs at the wheel?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

"dwight" wrote in news:bp9b3m$1l8as1$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-40295.news.uni-berlin.de:

Don't know about pimp, but for cost of a new top you could have some decent engine/suspension work done. If there are no holes in the top, I'd leave it alone and go for performance.

LOL! I know the feeling. BTW, what are you up to now, 125? ;)

Now I remember. Good stuff going on there. BTW, have you developed any squeaks or creaks with the springs? Just curious as my LX has a few now...

Guess you'll need it anyway with the PA roads. It's almost pothole season, eh?

That _is_ amazing. So who'd you buy this from? A little old lady, or what? BTW, what size tires are on it?

Joe

"dwight" wrote in news:bp9bij$1lg13o$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-40295.news.uni-berlin.de:

Wow - I missed the tranny entirely. Can't believe you joined the AOD Club, dwight. Now all you need are 3.73s on that bad boy. BTW, keep your left foot on the dead pedal. It's comfy.

Joe

Oh, plenty of time. The current top is just a bit worn around the edges, nothing serious yet. (And, unlike the Princessmobile, it's got an inside liner, too!) I'm thinking maybe in the Spring. As for performance, I'd rather spend those dollars on the Frog.

Not yet. We'll see, when it gets colder up here. Tomorrow and Tuesday continue to be top-down weather (50's, even low 60's maybe!).

Every season is pothole season. And this year has been especially wet. I get used to it, and don't notice anymore unless I travel out-of-state.

To tell the truth, I bought it from a guy named Joe. Found it online (cars.com, I think) and he was kind enough to meet me in Philly. I crawled all over it and knew this was the one I wanted.

Joe was about as anal as I am. He's got 225/55/16 Yokohamas on it. I stopped today to check the tire pressure, and it was a uniform 30 all around.

Sure, there are some annoyances - the CD player doesn't play CDs, the plastic shells around both inside door releases are cracked, and he had a love of ArmorAll (nothing a little Simple Green can't take care of). New Jersey requires a front plate, and I forgot to remove that THING on the front bumper until after I took the photos.

I picked up The Boy last night, and he thought it was weird ("f*cked up", is the way he put it). Inside looks almost identical to the Frog, other than the strange otherworldly shifter, but the ride and the sound are completely different. It's like Bizarro Frog.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Yeah, I can see you're jealous as hell, Bill. This is Mustang #6 for me. I'm on a roll.

:()

Reply to
dwight