Sorry The Cobra's Not For Sale

What an odd day. I drive my car back and forth to work everyday. I also drive it occasionally on the weekends. On average it racks up about 250-300 miles a week. But I never notice anyone looking and/or pointing at my car, it's rare I hear anyone tell me "nice car", and even rarer that anyone wants to race me. Most of the time I feel, by this lack of attention, that I'm driving a beige 10-year old minivan instead of a one-year only edition (for that body style) Cobra Mustang. Not that my car is really special or fabulous looking, it isn't. It's Fox Mustang, not new a Viper or Shelby GT500. But you'd think there would be enough car enthusiasts driving around, many of which have probably only seen a couple/few '93 Cobras, that I'd at least get a thumbs up once in a while.

Well, today made up for the long attention deficit. My car sat outside my mechanic's shop today. Just this afternoon -- from 12PM-5PM

-- he had SIX, 6, different people stop and ask questions about the car AND ask if it was for sale. THEN I drive my car to Lowes this evening, and a guy driving a new Corvette slows down, gets next to me, rolls down his window, then he asks... guess what? "Wanna sell your car?" I tell him no. Then he adds "that's sharp" as he stares.

What the hell? Okay, I do try to keep the car clean and it does look good for being a 15 year old car with 130+K miles but geeze.

Anyone else get this attention feast or famine?

Patrick '93 Cobra (not for sale)

Reply to
NoOption5L

You must keep it in very nice shape. Post some pics. :)

Reply to
ND

So, you didn't even entertain an offer from Vetteboi to see what he would offer? I get looks more often than that, but mine is very loudat this point in time.

Reply to
WindsorFo

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:fd10cac4-ce8f-4aa1-a37e-1e27c1f5cfc8 @j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Not quite that much, but yes, I've gotten 'thumbs-ups'.

Joe '93 LX (for sale)

Reply to
Joe

I still get compliments now and then. Had a conversation with a drive thru guy just the other day :).

But what I've noticed is that folks don't seem as friendly around here as they used to. The folks in the other nice cars seem to be ignoring everybody around them. It used to be just the 'Vette and Porsche guys but lately it's like no one wants to exchange a friendly greeting.

Maybe the economy or gas prices has 'em all bummed. I dunno.

Dan P49Y83+

Reply to
Dan

Famine, at the moment. Well, other than the cop complimenting me on TFrog a couple of weeks ago.

And every year, when I take CFrog up to see the local Mustang club show, I'm asked if I'm showing the car.

Otherwise, I don't get a lot of attention from the other "motorists" out there. Not like the good ol' days.

Your Cobra is now 15 years old. Society's memory fails, after a time, and I wouldn't think that most drivers even know what it is. I definitely get the feeling that all those new Mustangers out there in their 2005-08 jobbies don't even realize that the Fox WAS the Mustang for 15 seasons. No sense of history.

And, while I'm at it...

Mustangs Unlimited breaks the Mustang models into two basic categories:

1964-73 (10 model years) and then 1974-2008 (35 model years).

Boy, I wish they'd separate out the Foxes. Hell, lump them in with the IIs and have a separate category for 1974-93. I hate wading through all of the

4th and 5th generation aftermarket parts, trying to find something for my little '93s.

dwight

dwight

Only after I blow the doors off some riceburner with my Contour:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Yeah, more famine than feast for the '83 5.0 ragtop, looks reasonable for a 25 year old car with 274K miles, but it is a 4 eyed, so no-one really cares. Now my '73 Capri with a 302, T5, 9" rear gets way more comments that the Ragtop, and the wifes XR4Ti does too, WTF over??

SteveL

Reply to
pakeha

Every time mine hits the road, I get thumbs raised, waves, lights flashed (although one of those might have been because the left headlight was way out of line :0). I go to a store and when I come back out, there's usually someone checking it out. And people are forever asking me what year it is. Only had one offer and that from a guy in a restored 55 bowtie. Even had one woman ask what it was... and she was driving a 65 coupe! Maybe it's because the styling is more distinctive.

Spike's 65 Fastback is NOT for sale.

Reply to
Spike

wrote>

Hey now. Mine is 4 eyed. albiet a 69 sportsroof that looks like the Pete Revson #1 Boss 302 from the Shelby team, but it still is a 4-eye. :)

I get waves and honks and thumbs up and people asking me to pull over so they can make an offer all the time. This was my daily driver for 2 years until 3 months ago when I got a beater.

Scott W. '69 Sportsroof Mustang '68 Ranchero 500

Reply to
Scott W.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I get about one per 2 months, note under the windshield wiper etc. has 3 gauges on the pillar with a boost gauge and it has lousy faded paint We need a "not for sale" sticker for the bumper

the fox body is still liked by quite a few.

93 5.0 8# KB ex-cop car and tuned nice and *fast*
Reply to
Namehere

People turn around to look at my car before they can see it. Then they get this puzzled look trying to figure out the massive vacuum leak.

Reply to
GILL

People turn around to look at my car before they can see it. Then they get this puzzled look trying to figure out the massive vacuum leak. I'm thinking about pointing the by-pass hose underneath and out the front fender. :)

Reply to
GILL

snipped-for-privacy@not.a.real.address.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I think people still see the Chrysler K cars and other lame fare from the era when they see a 4 eye. I remember that people were angry back in '79 because Ford had abandoned the Mustang's rounded contours for straight and square lines. Keep in mind that the car they were defending was the Mustang II. Yeah.

I love my 4 eye ('83 GT) but I do confess to liking my Capri's body lines (with the gentle fender swells) better. That car needed some curves to make it sexy. ;)

People will forget the K cars and other junk from that generation, but Mustang lovers will keep the 4 eyes alive, and someday, these cars will get long looks. If the freaking mini-stockers don't destroy them all first.

Reply to
elaich

I love the lines of the Foxes. A few years back, I was parked up at my cousin's house between a 67 fastback and a new 05. In profile, my 83 had very similar lines to the 67 (hood length and slope, windshield angle and height, roof line, hatch angles), which really surprised me; I remember thinking this new "retro" style would be much closer in shape to the 67 than my Fox, but no. Being a coupe didn't help the 05 out any either...

Most I'd ever do to mine is drop in a 5.0 or 5.8 and a 5 speed.

Aw, who am I kidding: I'll probably just rebuild the 3.8... someday. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

I get a *lot* of waves.

(But then, a Jeep is my current "daily" driver) :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

I'm thinking about making one of those. I have a stack of "DO YOU WANT TO SELL THIS AS IS?" notes taken from under the wipers of my 1989 Toyodel Xtra Cab (with steel shell).

The answer is: It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

Reply to
Frank ess

Years ago I had a towing business. Had some cards printed that said, "I will buy this car." I'd put a card under the wiper of any VW Bug that looked like it sat a while. One week I bought 5 of them, paid $200 for the best one, $50 for the worst. Amazingly most were very easy fixes. One time I stuck one on a gold 69 four speed 300 HP 350" Vette. The panel under the rear bumper was torn and one muffler was missing. Bought it for $1,850. This was around

1971! It was a great car, was special ordered without power brakes?? Guy accidentally drove off a curb and caught the muffler. Wonder how well that would work now?? Of course NOT on VW's:)

Some gal drives by here almost everyday in a ratty 65 Mustang. By the sound of it it's a sick six automatic. Been thinking of chasing her down and popping the question. But my friend had one for sale, a 66, for $3,000. Had the original working radio, original hub caps, jack and so on. Upholstery was rotted out, had original 'not too bad' white paint, all chrome and so on. No rust at all. Took him a month to sell it and everybody tried to get him down on price. So maybe they are not such a good investment. The V8's are:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Okay dammit, you and Michael both. Bite me very much....

Reply to
WindsorFo