Sound System in a 69 Mustang

I have a Kenwood KRC 2007 (60 watts) radio/cassette player with a 10 cd changer in the trunk, they came with the car when I bought it. The speakers are the pits! I would like to install some quality speakers and sub woofer for around $200 to $300 and would like the advice of this vast and unpaid resource. This may be way short on the amount but it is a starting budget. How do you determine the best mounting location of the speakers? Does the Dynamat stuff justify the cost of it? Thanks to all. Lee

Reply to
Lee Coleman

You aren't going to get good sound with that head unit without an amp. I would add a four channel amp to the system first, and see how the speakers sound then.

If you're set on speakers first, I've had good results with Boston Accoustics. Pioneer and Sony are crap. Alpines are somewhere in between. Phoenix Gold and Mission are the best I've used, but they're out of your price range.

Mounting is a problem with the '69-'70 because the kick panels with the speaker mounts molded in aren't available. You could make some laying fiberglass over your own mold, but that would do away with those nice fresh air vents. Realistically, you've gotta cutthe door panel. In my '70 Cougar I've got a 1" particle board build-out on top of the hole in the door panel. This allowed the use of a Mission mid with a really big magnet, mounted in the lower front corner, and a tweeter up high. I think that's the best way to go.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Putting a system in a '69 is a huge PITA. Kick panels are out, cutting the doors sucks. besides, the placement there makes the sound crappy no matter how good your drivers are. If you have a rear deck, then you have a chance for sound, but not quality. I have the worst of both worlds since I have solid doors without factory speaker holes and a fold down rear seat. I've been trying to figure something out for MONTHS. It's gonna come down to lotsa fiberglass fabrication.

I still want to use the fold down capability but need to use the space for the sub enclosure. I've already removed the passthrough door into the trunk and made a mold of it. The mold will be used to build a plug to make a new door which will be the face for the sub enclosure and a set of 6.5" component drivers. Obviously the door would become non-functional since the enclosure would intrude into the trunk.

I'm thinking of fabricating new kickpanels which include ducting for the fresh air vents. Air would travel through the duct up towards the bottom of the dash and would exit through a set of vents similar to the vents in the center of an AC dash. It would look correct. Problem on the driver side is the e-brake and release handle. FRACK!

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Reply to
walt peifer

"walt peifer" wrote

Still expensive, but thinkable. It's not a very clean look that way. Very '70's mullet IMHO. :) I want to keep the arm rests usable anyway.

What, facing backwards?? I'm sure that sounds wierd from the front seats. Not to mention sound quality and staging. eesh.

Well even with a dual cone it sounds mono since the speakers are seperated by what, an inch? I'm going to be running in the neighborhood of 1000 watts in this system.

Well the car is only for my driving pleasure and a few shows. The plug will more than likely be covered anyways since I will build a screen to cover the space from the seat top to the rear window, making it look like it has a regular deck but would be sonically invisible. This obviously could be removed to show it off, but would usually remain in place for security reasons. I'm still working on ideas as to whether the rear components will be in their own pods and the sub alone. I've been racking my brains for months, but I'm coming up with the good ideas, the problem is there's always a drawback to each different idea. I'm trying to amalgamate (fifty cent word of the day) all the ideas into one that would work the best.

I will. They'll be on my website as soon as I get to work on it.

Reply to
66 6F HCS