Soundproofing new Mustang?

My neighbor, also the owner of an '05 Mustang (V6) has mentioned a product which is sprayed into the door panels and other areas to help reduce road noise and give the door less of a 'tinny' sound when closing.

Has anyone heard of such a thing, or any other way of adding some soundproofing to the vehicle?

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD, on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it." Rene Descartes

Reply to
John H

Having grown-up around Studebalers, I got in the habit of doing my own rust/sound treatments on my cars. For doors....I generally paint the inside of the door with linseed oil, lay a bead of silicone between the outer skin and door frame, them spray the inside with undercoating. Also take off any other interior panels I can and do the same thing.....quarter panels and over wheelhousing from inside the trunk, etc.

Underneath, I'll paint the bottom side with linseed oil (everything...springs, driveshaft...avoid the exhaust system) and cover it with spray undercoat.

Some of my friends are now using the material used for spray-on bedliners for the underside as it's more wear resistant.

'course, the new doors aren't getting any easier to work on with speakers, side-guard beams, power windows, locks, mirrors.

Just how tinnie are the new 'stang doors and how good is the level of standard soundproofing?

JC

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Dynamat has a whole range of products. I have not yet used them, but am examining them to be used on my next project. They have both mat and spray on products meant to be used in a layered or standalone fashion.

Anyone here had good/bad experiences with Dynamat products?

Itsfrom Click wrote:

Reply to
cprice

Neither the doors nor the road noise are all that bad. I can easily live with both. If, however, there is an easy way to help the situation, I might give it a try.

What is the purpose of the linseed oil. Is that something the product manufactures recommend?

I have a rhinoliner spray on in the pickup bed and love it. I seem to recall the guy saying he also undercoated cars. Might give him a call. Thanks for the reply.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD, on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it." Rene Descartes

Reply to
John H

well, the linseed oil is an old, old trick and am sure there are many purpose-made products today.

actually, started using the linseed oil years ago on old cars......it will soak into surface rust (wire brush off the scale).......also use it over old - but still well-adhering - undercoat and it rejuvinates it. it stays somewhat elastic - forms sort of a semi-flexible plasticy film. (just make sure you use BOILED linseed oil - the raw will never dry) ......heh it even smells great!, BUT it's flamable so watch where you put it. right now have a '57 Packard, '92 Jeep and '95 Chrysler treated....the Jeep is the driver in all kinds of Ohio weather and salt and zero rust - nice to see a clean undercarriage instead of the rusty bits everyone else has.

have bought several kinds of rustproofing materials but they don't seem to stick to new surfaces very well......

JC

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD, on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it." Rene Descartes

Reply to
John H

I'm going to take a crack at it this week end. I wno't be using Dynamat. HEard it's expensive. I'm going to use edeadv1se instead. A little less expensive. you can find out more at

snipped-for-privacy@here.com wrote:>

fashion.

Reply to
mustangjoe