Southern California fire damages Mustang

So, here's a photo from today's AP news:

I'm not sure who the people are, but that might have been a fine Mustang destroyed behind them, to the right. It looks like it never made it out of the garage.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Whoops,

I hit send before I was done... Anyway whay I was going to say is, I think their car is probably the least of their concerns...

CoogarXR

1983 351w Project
Reply to
CoogarXR

Well, it was a 67 or 68 coupe at one time. I feel sorry for folks like this, I know what it is like to lose your belongings to a fire (1996).............

Bill S.

Dana Myers wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I should make it clear, I do not intend to make fun of the horrific loss of property and life in Southern California. The (dark) humor I saw was a photo-op with the President of the USA and all I could see was a destroyed Mustang.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

I don't understand some people. If the old car runs, that's what I am fleeing in. Insurance can replace the new ones alot easier....

Reply to
Brent P

Well, it was backed into the garage. It looks like it has an engine in it. But, it may not have been running. Anyway, it's likely the evacuees had much more pressing matters on their minds and not much advance warning.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

How can you tell from that picture that it was backed in and had an engine??? Not flamin, just curious how you could tell from that distance and poor picture quality. Can't even see the front of the car.

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

Good questions. OK - here's the link to the photo:

I'm guessing it's in a garage on the basis of the quantity of ashes and debris surround the car, as well as the fact that the car and debris is pretty clearly on a concrete pad (you can see blank concrete to the left of the car, and there's a cinder-block wall between the car and the camera. The car appears to be well towards one extreme of the pad; it might actually be a separated garage.

I can see the front of the car, though I can't see through the hood. However, the angle of the car looks pretty much "stock"; even though the tires are fairly obviously burned and flat, they're all burned and flat so the car is sitting on the wheels. If the engine was missing, the front of the car would be several inches higher, enough to be quite noticeable (have you seen a car with the engine removed? It rather sticks up). The hood appears to be intact, this is a judgement based on the absence of a severe discoloration. With the hood being intact I'm also inclined to believe the engine is intact (my experience is that the hood is often missing when the engine is, and intact when the engine is, though this rule of thumb isn't iron-clad).

Sure, this is all a judgement call, but the evidence seems strong to me.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

OK, makes sense. Thanks.

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

I CAN FIX IT!!!!!!! ;^) StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

eesh! Wouldn't the metal be destroyed? Something to do with temper and brittleness of the metal after being exposed to heat like that. (Trying to remember my high school Science). I know heat can make metal stronger, but too much can damage the molecular bonds or something like that. (Do I sound like a retard?) heh :)

Scott W. '66 HCS I'm no metallurgist

Reply to
Scott Williams

A member of our club just ran an ad on our website.(California Assoc. of Tigers ) He is looking for a fully restored Sunbeam Tiger to replace the one that burned along with his home in Scripps Ranch. There were only 7000 made and now there is one less 8 Well, it was a 67 or 68 coupe at one time. I feel sorry for folks like

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

On the topic of burnt Stangs, have you seen Laurie's '68 fastback restomod, "Trouble"?

(I think that if you torch a car, you do have to start replacing sheet metal. I could be wrong though.)

LOL!

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Well you can almost build a 'new' Mustang with the amount of reproduction parts available for them, so depending on how the metal was affected by the fire it could be possible. Though he would probably be better off buying just about any Mustang from any junkyard if he was gonna do that, would probably be in better shape. heh heh

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Ironically that Mustangs metal is still in better shape than mine ;^) But you're correct it is what they say in England...bloody knackered. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

I guess all you really need these days is the roof. I haven't seen these reproduced...yet! I wonder when the "kit car" version of the mustang is gonna come out. I mean, If they can make a Fiero into a Diablo, why not a Pacer into a '66 Shelby clone. lol :)

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

Ouch!

next thing I know there will be kit-car to turn a miata into a mustang...

;-)

Reply to
Dana Myers

Then build a convertible!