Spy Pic Of The 2005 Mustang

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
Patrick

I think I just ruined my jeans...

Is it just me, or does it look like a 2 seater still? If they do end up as 2 seaters, you can be sure I'll be pick>

Matt

I still think I am going to hate the retro look.

but the horsepower might make it a loveable little ugly child.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Nah they've already said it will be 2x2 the back seat tops are pretty low and not visible in that pic. If you look at the link posted last month the second photo clearly shows the tops of the back seats... Unless they put fake ones in there just to screw with everyone and then deliberately lied in public quotes. Here's the link in case the last spy photo post has expired on your server:

as always watch the wrap you'll probably need to cut and paste it twice.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

from the windsield back it looks like a 65 fastback which to me is the holy grail of Mustang styling. And definitely has me exited. Am I the only one who wishes they'd go back to making a coup and fastback version just to make the fastback special again?

Anyway even if the lines aren't 65-esque the stance is all 65. Judging from the bra cover on the front they're going with those distinctive (but quite possibly overly retro) 69 style headlamp surounds... If those aren't popular they can always change them... The basic shape and stance though looks very promising.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I love the new Thunderbird, I loved the Retro thing with the SN95's so I guess I'm pretty pro retro. I've been thinking a lot lately that amid all these blobular globby aerodynamic shapes which are making cars so undistinct that maybe detroit (mostly Ford which IMO started the whole retro kick off with the SN95's) has a winning idea.

The thunderbird takes a little getting used to looks wise, but once you do it becomes more and more classy and stylish standing out from the herd. Not too many cars these days you can say that about.

I think aerodynamics has reached a point of diminishing returns, and people are hungry for cars that don't all look alike. ignoring aerodynamics to a degree for the sake of a car that looks different and has some character is long overdue IMO.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

totally agree. i dont care anymore for rounded, organic shapes.....wait, not really organic, since bars of soap aren't organic....anyway, bring on non-aerodynamic styling. anything, but please, lets end the era of the taurus, accord, camry, 626, and any other faceless auto; it is time to have cars that catch the eye back on the road again. . tim

95 mustang gt 5spd
Reply to
Rosco1211

Ford better hope the Mustang's retro look gets a better greeting than the Thunderbird. The T-Bird's sales have not been too good.

-Rich

Reply to
rander3127

Yeah I agree,IMHO T-Bird was over priced, and I dont know many people who would buy a 30+ grand for a 2 seater. Well Katie Couric did. Any Has anyone heard what the 05 will cost? Will

Reply to
Will

at 05 Aug 2003, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:BmMXa.866$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

The only 'retro' thing about the SN95 is that it has the rounded lines of the old 60's mustang. I saw a program on Discovery a while back about the history of the Stang and they had a 65, a Fox and an SN95 side by side. To me it clearly showed the SN95 as an evolution of the

60's model. Which the Fox body. at least to me, did not.

Just my $0.02 of course...

Reply to
Paul

Kate there were all sorts of articles back when the 94's shipped talking about the Retro thing. The concept (Mach III) wasn't in the slightest retro, but by the time the 94 got built it had a bunch of what Ford and the Mags, were calling "retro styling ques". The three designs they had were code named (from memory) the Schwarzenegger, the Stallone, and the Jenner (Bruce Jenner, this one looked more like a overgrown Probe GT than a Mustang IMO). The Schwarzenegger was what we got until 98, when I think they used the Stallon for the facelift (i'm not perfectly positive but I seem to recall it looking like the Stallone drawings). Both the Schwarzenegger and Stallone had the overall shape of a 60's Mustang. The retro ques are the scoop lines along the side, the lines on the hood. The high trunk lid and Fastback. The Headlamps still looked like decendants from the Fox, and the grill has had the "family lines" since earlier Fox bodies. But the side scoop lines especially and the overall profile lines were very favorably compared to 60's FB's.

Of course the newest one might be the most retro yet (certainly seems to be shaping up that way. It's also, judging from those pics, going to look more like the concept car than just about any prduction car ever has resembled it's concept car. At least ones I've seen.

To me there's a sense of "it's all been done" in car designs the last couple decades, so the retro thing isn't just a fad, but something of a necessity to breath some new life into car designs.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

If they jump the price up 10k it'll suffer. I don't remember what the late model T-bird "sports sedan" was running but the Retro 2 seater is around 40 grand. You can get a Boxster for a little more than that... And if you're shopping for a 2 seater convertible you've got plenty of choices in a variety of price ranges. They made a mistake trying to compete with the Boxster. The MR2 and Miata they might have had a chance against. IMO they should have made it a 2x2 and avoided the 2 seater glut. It's awfully large for a 2 seater anyway, so I'm betting the others have it beat for cornering. And why else do you buy one? If not to cut corners on twisty fun driving roads?

I like the looks, but there's no way I'd buy one at or near 40k, when there are cheaper (MR2, Miata, S2000) and higher performance "luxury" (BMW M and Z, Boxster). Basically Ford seems to have tried to fill a niche that doesn't exist... upper income blue collar older guys and Gals who want a T-bird for senitmental/badge loyalty reasons, who also don't mind going from a sedan they could fit the groceries into, to a overly long 2 seater. They completely missed the young "moving up the corporate ladder" White collar Miata/MR2 buyers in the 26 to 32k range, and didn't get near the "already made it up the ladder" types who are buying Boxsters and BMW roadsters.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Looks like someone went overboard with the nose bra...

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Simon,

Your memory is pretty good. You were off only on a few details.

There were three designs like you said, the "Bruce Jenner", "Arnold Schwarzenegger", but the last one was named "Rambo", not Stallone. The Jenner was very Probe like, the Rambo was too aggressive looking, so Ford went went with the more balanced Schwarzenegger. In '98 we didn't get the Rambo, we got a "new edge design." The Rambo design didn't look anything like a Mustang, it looked more like a '93-'02 Trans Am.

Patrick (Have been closely following the Mustang's development since '82.) '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Yeah my memory of the Rambo (pretty close with Stallone) is fuzzy besides it being overly aggressive looking. I wonder if there's any pics on the web .

Here we go

Yeah definitely Trans am/Firebird like... The lines of the f-bodies got old so quick due to the exaggerated rake and swoopiness (is that a word?) I'm glad ford didn't go with it. I find a lot of cars like that... you are impressed with the styling at first glance, but then it becomes more and more gaudy looking. The F-bodies are like that too me. A lot of Japanese Sports cars get old looking really quick, but oddly I find some of their sports compacts, and designs like the SN95 get better looking the more I see them... The 04 concept mustang is like that... the more I look at it the more I like it. The side shots at first glance made me say "ugh" but the quartering pics look better and better.

Reply to
Simon Juncal