squeaky speedometer

I have a squeaky speedometer cable. 1989 GT. I am trying to figure out how to get to it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
Howard Mora

Had this problem on my '87 when it was relatively new. For me, the squeak was coming from the upper end of the cable behind the speedo itself. Remove the dash parts necessary to get to the instrument cluster, then remove the cluster. Reach around to the back of the cluster to get to the speedo cable. Just squeeze the two tabs very firmly and pull/wiggle until it releases. A generous dab of high-temp grease (I used white lithium) in the tip will do the job. Then reverse procedure to reassemble.

Since you'll be disassembling the driver's side dash facias to do this, it's a great time to check and replace any dash cluster bulbs. I usually replace the whole lot of them whenever I access the cluster. Less than $10 in bulbs is worth the convenience of not having to go through this disassembly to replace a single burned-out bulb.

HTH!

Reply to
Nob Ody

Although that may have worked on yours, if the OP is going to go thru all that trouble to get to the speedo cable end, the cable should be pulled out of it's housing, wiped down good to get all the old grease off, and then relubed with white grease and then put back into the housing and the whole thing buttoned back up. Many times these squeaks are due to the cable being dry along it's whole length, not just the end near the speedo head.

I'm not sure cuz it's been awhile, but a lot of times if you are a contortionist, you can just reach up behind the dash and undo the cable and pull it out and down to do this work without taking anything apart or pulling the cluster. I've done it many times but don't recall if the Fox bodies were among the ones this can be done on. I'd certainly try it first before pulling things apart.

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy

Very good suggestion to lube the cable. I used Dry-Slide. The cables on my 1983 motorcycle are old and still perfect. I lube them every year with Dri-slide.

Just be careful re-asembling the cable back into both ends (tranny and speedo). I rushed and broked the tip off when I didn't test seat it before plugging it back in. New cable was $50 at Ford (now I found at

50resto for $20)

Hank Phoenix

Reply to
Hank

I used a soldering iron to melt a dimple in the outer cable on my 89. Finished a small hole with a tiny drill bit. Did it right up by the firewall. Dripped some ATF in the hole and sealed it with candle wax. Over the years I re-lubed it many times.

Al

Reply to
Big Al