'Stang powered Ford Ranger?

I am a newb to this whole Newsgroup (NG?) thing. However, I feel like I am in the right place to ask a very serious question. I have, among a few other things, a 2001 Ford Ranger. I am curretnly schemeing to put a better engine in it than the 4.slow SOHC that currently resides under the hood. I wanted to ask for opinions on this idea from the people who seem to know best.

What engine would be best for power? What would be best for ease of installtion? Should I forego fuel injection and go carburated, or not?

I am counting on you all to give me some good answers

By the way, I already put in a ladder bar/coil spring/pan hard bar susp. in the rear, with cobra 17" inch wheels at all four corners, so the suspension and rolling stock should be set. However, I think the rear end, tranny, and what not will have to go, so input on this stuff might be helpful as well!

Thanks, Ruins

Reply to
Ruins

Your best bet would be to find a donor 2001 Explorer w/ 5.0 V-8 for this swap. Not much else makes sense for a streetable emissions compliant set-up.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Word. Would you happen to know how much different that 5.0 is in comparison to the one that came in the Mustangs in terms of power potential?

Reply to
Ruins

for a 5.0 its a pretty good one. The explores have GT40p heads and a production version of the GT40/cobra intake. The weak link might be the cam as I'm sure its tuned for more low end than top end since its in a truck. I know swapping explore intakes and heads on to older Mustang 5.0s is pretty popular so its a good place to start if you have nothing all ready.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

A mechanic friend of mine put an Explorer 5.0 in a Ranger. It was a VERY wild ride.

LJH

95GT (331 stroker)

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Well, I am thinking, from y'all are saying, that the Explorer engine is the best bet. Hell, my driveshaft, and rearend would probably work as well b/c my truck is the king cab and I am fairly certain that is the frame Ford used for the Explorer.

Anybody know where the best to look for those engines is. I mean, other than my local junkyard. If anyone has anymore information I would surely appreciate it.

Thanks for all the responses, Ruins

Reply to
Ruins

Try

.

It's a self-guided tour to your parts right from the front page.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Rob,

Thanks for the reply this website will prove to be very useful! Thanks, Ruins

Reply to
Ruins

All this talk reminds me of the SVT Ranger that never came to be. The prototype looked cool. It had IIRC, a 240hp engine. 25 more hp than the Mustang GT of that time. John

Reply to
JohnR66

Speaking of which, I remember seeing an SVT Ranger that was built by the Ford SVT unit. They took the Lightning engine and put it in the Ranger. They said it was impractical becasue it just soun in every gear. I thisnk I remember mid 12 time-slips being thrown around. Hey, maybe I'm on to something?!? What do you think JohnR66?

Ruins

Reply to
Ruins