start problems

What's up guys? I had a few questions you guys might be able to answer for me. I have a 99 Mustang GT 5 speed with only 30K miles. Recently it's had start problems. Initially I replaced the battery and the alternator and still have the problem. Sometimes if i leave it sitting for a day or 2 it neglects to start. However, it does if I hook up a charger too it. I have no idea what the cause might be. Also, when it is running sometimes when i am stopped in neutral the idle is fluctuating very low sometimes at less than 500 rpm and nearly stalls. Could this be related to the timing belt? Yet another question is that my radiator light always comes on yet there seems to be no problem there. I drained, flushed, and refilled the radiator and it still comes on, the temperature is always normal as well with no overheating occuring. Finally, I always hear a rattling noise directly under my shifter and sometimes with the clutch fully engaged the gears grind slightly going from 4th to 5th gear. Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated. Thanks, kevin

Reply to
KCB

When you say "Start problems" do you mean the starter doesn't turn like it should or the engine isn't firing? If the starter's not turning, check the electrical connection at the starter itself, there might be a loose or corroded connection. The charger may be overcoming the extra resistance.

The low idle may be a vacuum leak. Check all your vacuum lines for leaks or cracks. If the timing belt strips teeth, you'll know it, your engine will die and you'll have no compression due to the valves getting tagged.

How do you know the radiator's not running hot if you only have a light and no temp guage? If it is running normal, you might have a bad connection to your sending unit or a bad sending unit.

I can't help you with the rattling, unless I heard it myself. You might have a loose transmission mount, or your clutch may have problems.

Good luck, I've had all of those problems over the years (and more!).

-Dave

'72 Mach 1

351C 4bbl w/ aussie heads and ram-air

Reply to
nospam

KCB opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

So you are saying it cranks slow and battery must be charged? Since you have changed both the battery and the alternator, i have to assume there is a drain that is discharging the battery.

- you're going to have to have this checked out by someone who can measure the current drawn with the key off.. sounds to me like it is more than 300 MA

If the engine cranks normally but wont start, that's a different thing.

If it otherwise runs properly, no. More likely it's the Idle Speed Control sticking.

It IS NOT a vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks result in higher than normal idle RPM

Sounds like a failed Coolant (level) Reservoir Switch. Common problem

No idea on the rattle, because I only have experience on the older T-5 transmissions; on older cars it was common for the shifter itself to sound like it was rattling. The grind -if this doesnt happen between other gears- sounds like a bad synchronizer. sorry!

I suggest you go to Google | groups | and do a search on your problems in rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

And, at least, buy a Chilton or Haynes book.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for all the advice Dave, it's much appreciated. I thought my battery may have had a dead cell but the problem was occuring with the new and old battery. Sometimes I get nothing at all, even the power locks won't work. But, after I start it with the charger or cables it hesitates to get fuel. I think I may be dealing with a fuel pump/injection problem and electrical difficulties as well. Bad relay or solenoid maybe? Thanks again, Kevin B

'72 Mach 1 huh? Nice car!

Reply to
KB

Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated. I used to be a fighter jet mechanic, but we had specific books to troubleshoot everything in detail, which made things much easier. I guess it would help to know the diagnostics though. Thanks again, kevin

Reply to
KB

KB opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Perhaps you would benefit from looking on Ebay for a cdrom... ford manuals do step-by-step.

they are a little maddening to me because of the test detail and flow, but are fairly thorough

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Sounds like something is draining the battery quickly. Do you have any amps hooked up to it that stay on ? Any lights that stay on (trunk)? HEar any buzzing, like a relay ? Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein