Starter

I have a 98 Mustang GT... bought used about a year ago.. the car was poorly maintained in the past (I've constantly been fixing stuff.. I replaced the alternator with my girlfriend today.. took about 2 hours because I've never done it before... stinking belt is hard to get back on! lol) and anyway... is it possible that the starter has died? Like would 5 years be a possible life-span for a starter? Thanks!

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

Its possible Mike but check the entire circuit first. The fact that you replaced the alt hints that the battery could be low enough (discharged) not to be able to crank the car over. What is the battery voltage? Could also be the soleniod or a connection.

What does it do? More details will help us give you an idea...

Serge

Reply to
Serge

Stuart&Janet opined in news:NTmTa.1169$ snipped-for-privacy@mantis.golden.net:

Correction... not the years or mileage so much as the driving habits. Some cars get started 2 or three times every ten miles...

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I didn't see any replies after my post except for this one. Did anyone else post anything? My ISP is screwy. Also... is there any easier way of removing that PITA starter? I managed to get under the car & get everything off except 1 bolt which is on the "top side" of the starter which is reaaaaally hard to get to.. is there any tool I can use to get to it easier? Anyone else have experience with this? I'd like to save a few bucks by doing it myself rather than paying someone else to do it.. and I'd like to have the experience too =). Anyway, I appreciate the feedback & hope for more... btw the car has close to 80k miles. Thanks again folks.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

It was actually a paraphrase of a line from the film Indian Jones (that applies to the wear and tear on the heroes body!) I meant it to imply a lot of driving ( hence starting) would be more wearing than the age of the car but it's a bit of both really which is as you say driving habit. If you were to use your car twice a day for 10 years ( to and from work) and more on the weekends and in the evening, say it works average 3 times a day for it's life (very conservative I might add) You'd start your car 10950 times. Add in the fact that maybe your IAC is bad after10 years and the car keeps stalling when cold, add the times you had to start it for heat to clear the windows while parked, multiple shopping places yada yada. Who knows? After 10 years of just being slung under the motor getting rain, mud, salt, tar, grit etc slung at ya I'm surprised they last as long as they do!

My car's 17 years old so that would make it minimum 18615 starts. I've seen some people that can't believe you can often pull the key out of the ignition while the car is still in the run position on a car that old. The things turned near 20000 times, it owes you nothing at this point! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Again... has anybody ever removed a starter from perhaps a 98 Mustang GT? hehe. I've tried & I'm having difficulty reaching the top bolt.. I can get everything else off (and have), but I can't get to the top bolt. I cut my arm 3 times just to find it & touch it... but there's really no way I can think of to get the stinker off. Any ideas/tips? Thanks!

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

no wonder the battery is dead and the belt was hard to get on!! :)

Reply to
winze

LOL... she actually knows a little bit about cars so she WAS helpful =).

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

Like 5ft in extensions? :P I'll give her another shot... hopefully somebody will gimmie more input (I appreciate yours, too though :>) before I try LOL so I don't hafta cut myself again. Thanks! Anyone have any more advice? =)

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

No, just an extension long enough to clear the rear of the starter will do.

Gary

Reply to
GEB

Yo i was kidding hehe =)