Starter Stays On After Starting

Two weeks ago, for the first time, after starting my car the starter motor kept running. Even turning the ignition switch off didn't stop it. I popped the hood and jumped out of the car and pulled off the positive battery terminal, which happend to be loose enough to let me do so.

It's only happened a few times since, but obviously something needs fixin'. Is it the ignition switch, the starter solenoid, the starter motot, that family of prairie dogs living under the hood or something else.

Thanks all!

T o m Dillon '88 GT Conv (replace the z's with s's to email)

Reply to
Sunastar

My 86 ranger does that periodically, scared the hell outta me the first time. From what I can tell when ya turn the key it sticks, I can usually "flip" the key to the start position really fast and it will release.

Gumby619

Reply to
Gumby619

Had it happen to me on a 70 model. It was daylight and my batt. cable was loose also. I assumed it was the relay, went straight to the junk yard and installed a nice looking relay (solenoid) tossed the old one, cleaned my battery posts and snugged up the cable ends nicely. Problem solved.

3 am the next morning: Into my car with my lunch and a cup up hot coffee, turn the key,and, **** me... Once the relay is energized it provides power to the ignition, so turning off the key does nothing. Turned out to be in the wiring or switch. Should have checked the S wire with a meter before I ruined my battery and starter.

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe

I had the same thing happen on my ford truck the other day, the problem was the starter solenoid. When this happens it makes you move in a hurry! LOL

Reply to
winze

Probably the aliens up in the sky that is making that happen. Better get out the tin foil and wrap up your starter to keep the aliens from affecting it with their cosmic rays.

Reading some of the other replies reminded me of the time my car startled the 'you know what' out of me. Started the car, opened the hood and was just listening to the engine purr. Leaned closer and the electric fan kicked on and nearly knocked myself out jumping and hitting my head on the hood. Looked around and figured no one saw that so I closed the hood and went on my merry way.

Reply to
Greg B.

LOL

Reply to