Stearing noise question

I have a 95' Mustang GT Convertable and lately when I turn right it makes a creaking noise. It is only when I turn right though left is completely silent. The creak happens at the same stearing location each time also. For example, I turn from 1 oclock to 2 oclock you hear

1 creak. From 3-4 it is silent and then creaks again at 5-6 oclock. If I then go back to center and do this again it creaks in the exact same locations everytime.

I have read so many different thing causing this but the latest I have heard is sway bar bushings. Would this be the case? If so are they pritty easy to replace myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot for your help! Chris

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Chris

LOWER BALL JOINT. They are sealed without grease fittings from the factory. For $150 including labor will cover the repair. If you let it go it will do more then make a creak sound. Frozen ball joint is next. Turn a corner and the steering wheel will have to be turned back to straight.

Reply to
Mr. B

Yes, I have the same problem with my '97 GT and what gets me aggravated is that it only has 45,000 KM on it. The mechanic is trying to needle squirt some grease in there and I will see if it helps. If not, no choice but to change them. Go with something superior like MOOG instead of replacement FORD original....

Reply to
[80s.fan]

****Dont bother with squirting grease unless it is a tempory fix. There are Fords coming in to replace the ball joints at 20k. The replacement joints have grease fittings but dont unstand why Ford continues with sealed joints. Check the boots for tears. It makes a big difference steering the car when the joints are tight and greased. You should be able to Turn a corner with ease and the steering wheel snaps back on its own even with 245/45 WR 17 mounted on the front. I have Eibach, lowering springs on my 96 GT vert stick and can turn with two fingers. When my joint went bad it creeked first just backing up but soon the joint froze up and steering slowly goes from bad to worse. Just my thoughts

Mr B

96 GT vert stick loaded Red 97 BMW E-36 3 series loaded Red 99 Miata stick LE-Pkg loaded Red/ Tan

Reply to
Mr. B