Steeda Tri-Ax shifter

Ok so I'm extremely interested in getting the shifter (see subject), but I've heard it IS noisy... is there any sort of insulation that can quiet it down? Anybody got a URL or maybe a home-made remedy? Thanks in advance, folks.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

It's called a CD. Or if necessary the RADIO.

:-)

I love my Ax, it is noisier than stock, but even basic traffic reports on the radio, and I don't hear it. With no heater, radio, person to talk to etc... yes it's there. However it fits in with the other noises of the car. It's not a stand alone rattle that is out of synch. It's much less annoying (and embarrassing) than the gear grinding sound of a botched 2-3. It's completely eliminated that!

The only down side I've had is that sometimes 3-4 now gives a little grind. But since 3-4 is much less critical than 2-3 in terms of getting down the road, I've learned to adjust to it and am a little softer on that one. It never misses, just sometimes I throw it so fast the synchros can't keep up.

Stirling

Reply to
Stirling Dodd

Isn't there a way to adjust that? The 3rd-4th shifting problem I mean.. bolt stops or something? Oh well... I suppose I can get used to the noise.. until I figure out a way to shut it up a bit.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Yes there are bolt stops on the steeda unit. I've never had the 3-4 grind mentioned, but I'm sure I don't push the shifter to its limit either. The Crotch Viper '95 GT

(former Modless Wonder #1)

Reply to
CrotchViper

Groovy =)

Reply to
<memset

The 3-4 to my feel is either a slight miss timing on my part, or the syncros not being quite ready. It's a very quick throw. If I just pause for an instant with the clutch in, it's fine.

S Dod^2

Reply to
Stirling Dodd

My Ax isn't noisy at all. If you listen closely, you may hear a faint grumbling noise, but unless you rolled up the windows and shut the stereo off and listened closely, you wouldn't hear it at all.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

A grind going from one gear to the other has nothing to do with the shifter.

Reply to
Bard

I've heard of people modifying the rubber insulator and the handle in the stock shifter to fit the base of the Tri-ax with some success. I wouldn't bother though. Give it a few weeks and you won't even notice. Especially if you've replaced your exhaust. If you can get used to a drone then you can get used to anything!

Reply to
Bard

It IS noisier than stock, true. BUT in my opinion it's worth it. The improvement is incredible over the stock shifter. You'll never want to go back again. Like other people on here said, it's there, but it's not loud. If you have the radio off and windows closed, and the air not blowing faster than setting 1 you will hear it. I only hear it in the first 3 gears. Last week I testdrove a new GT at a dealer with the stock shifter.. man, did I appreciate the tri-ax in my own car. Good luck

Rein

95 GT

Rein

I want a Tri-Ax so bad LOL!! You guys are making my mouth water... or maybe that's my lunch. Either way, bbl!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I keep reading about how wonderful Tri-Ax shifters are GOOODDDDDDD I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't afford one right now though... trying to get a personal loan to cover the $850 tranny repair costs. :(.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Yes it is very noisy. The aluminum handle acts as a speaker radiating transmission noise into the cabin. It's not a very good handle anyway so do yourself a favor and get an MGW shift handle (less than $40). It's a much better shifting handle and its quiet.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

At the moment I'm on an extremely limited budget... I'll look into that later though. Thanks.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Yeah, ok.

Reply to
Don Wallish

Now that I've thought about it, there WAS a rubber isolator inside the OEM shifter that I put on the Ax. This was outlined in the instructions as optional. This may be the reason it's so quiet.

[...]

Check E-bay, there's some dealers on there with good prices.

Rein

Looks to me the only real difference (besides the adjustability) is the rubber insulator between the handle and the shifter. You can probably add some rubber between the two and reduce the noise. I don't think it's bad enough to even bother.

Rein

Lowest price I've seen is $170 free shipping (which isn't too bad at all, but still out of my budget).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset