Stereo display reads TELE... (WTF?)

Okay, I give up.

1993 Mustang with Ford Premium Sound. The display will switch from its normal display of station or time, and reads TELE. All sound stops.

I find nothing about this in the manual. At first, I thought it meant that I had outdriven the signal, but it won't give me ANY stations at that point, nor will it play cassettes (remember cassettes?).

The stereo works just fine after a time.

What is it trying to tell me, other than it's time to upgrade?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

E.T. Phone home ???? Sorry couldn't resist first time I've heard of it. I've seen CODE but never TELE

Reply to
Luna

Ummmm....... far button on the upper right that looks like a telephone....yeah, that on..... push it.

Telephone mute button.

Reply to
Gary Rodgers

Ummmmm....... Nope. 1993. No such thing.

Thanks, anyway.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

dwight opined in news:bjsa4f$mh7cc$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-40295.news.uni-berlin.de:

Dont be too sure... just because it's not on the faceplate.

What if you turn the power switch off then on?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hello,

I had a 1993 lincoln Mark VIII with the integrated phone, when you picked up the phone, the stereo would mute, but it gave no indication on the display that it was muted. Just an FYI, because I think the radio's are the same in mustangs (although I doubt any came with integrated phones)

CoogarXR

1983 351w Project
Reply to
CoogarXR

"dwight" wrote in news:bjr22b$m5fsd$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-40295.news.uni-berlin.de:

That you should go watch tv.

Joe Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies but no radio Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Reply to
Joe

Reboot? No, powering down and back up doesn't work. If I come back in a couple of hours, though, it's fine.

I suppose it's possible that the stereo was wired for optional telephone interface, even though there's nothing visible or any reference in the manual. It is, actually, the only thing that makes sense.

In general, the stereo is out of control. It changes stations (even bands) at random instances, and then there's a symbol that looks like tiny headphones that appears next to the station number... There's definitely a ghost in the machine.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

dwight opined in news:bjvelb$o2cou$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-40295.news.uni-berlin.de:

I can tell you HOW to do it but I think you MIGHT solve the problem with a good cleaning of the faceplate printed circuit board and possible the radio internals itself.

Spray tuner cleaner from Radio Shack...

And BTW, this often happens when electronic logic has been immersed or liquid contaminated... just like coffee on a keyboard.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic