Storm Quiz > Mustangs vs Hurricane Ivan

-- The Mustang Storm Quiz --

  1. Which would be more effective at stopping Hurricane Ivan?

a) Torque

b) Horsepower

  1. How much horsepower or torque would it take to stop Hurricane Ivan?
< Note: You can use a calculator >

  1. How many Mustang(s) would it take to stop Ivan?

< Note: You can use a calculator >

  1. Is it possible for a Mustang to outrun Hurricane winds?

a) Y

b) N

  1. Which is more important when outrunning hurricanes?

a) Launch

b) Top Speed

  1. A Mustang equipped with ram-air will go faster if its:

a) Running into hurricane winds

b) Running with hurricane winds

  1. Is it possible for a Mustang to sense an impending hurricane?

a) Y

b) N

  1. < Question 7 continued > If so, prior to the hurricane will its performance be:

a) Enhanced

b) Diminished

  1. If you run into a hurricane, what is the best gear to use?

a) 1st

b) 2nd

c) 3rd

d) 4th

e) 5th

f) Buy a '00 R model or Terminator Cobra and use 6th

g) Doesn't matter... hell, use reverse if it'll get you the f*ck out of the hurricane's path.

10) What's the best power-adder to combat a hurricane with?

a) Supercharger

b) Turbocharger

c) NOS

d) Normally-aspirated works best

Whoever gets all ten questions correct will win a free night's stay on any beach-front property on the central gulf coast.

While you mull these questions over, we'll be battening down the hatches. Looks like Hurricane Ivan has us in his crosshairs. Wish me and the family luck...

Patrick (reporting from what we hope won't be "Ground Zero") '93 Cobra - riding the storm out '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

GET THE COBRA OUT OF THERE, Go northwest as fast as you can!

Reply to
winze

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Patrick, having been through several hurricanes, I _strongly_ recommend that you seriously consider getting the hell out of there, especially if you're near the gulf.

Ivan is one of the most powerful storms we've ever seen, and it's nothing to take lightly. If 140-mph winds hit your place, you're toast. No ifs, ands, or buts. Try driving 140 mph and then stick your face into the wind. That's what will be hitting your house for at least a few hours straight. Yes, a few hours, and probably more like a full day. Ivan's big and it's moving slowly. Take a look at some satellite pix and you'll see how big that damn thing is. We've been seeing weather from Ivan for the last several days, and we're near Ft. Lauderdale.

Stay safe!!!

Joe

We're on the ugly east side of the storm. Near Fort Walton, but 20-25 miles inland.

We're not. We lived in Virgina for 7 years so we know about storm prepping. We have the windows boarded up and the yard is clear of any potential "missles".

They're talking around 70 mph wind gusts with sustained winds of around 50 mph. Tornados are my biggest fears.

The worst thing is this is going to happen in the middle of the night. Kind of like watching a scary movie with all the lights off.

I've been tracking it since last week. Watching Jean too.

About half of our neighborhood has split, but we're staying put. We expect to be without power for about a week or so...maybe longer. Hopefully the water will stay on. Though most people around here won't want to see any more water. We're expecting about 8-12 inches of rain. The river nearby is supposed to rise about 20 feet. I'm just glad I bought a home that's about 50 feet above the river. I feel really sorry for those didn't buy on high ground. There's going to be some $200K plus homes on/near the river you'll be able to buy for cheap next week...that's if they haven't floated away.

I'll give the NG a first-hand hurricane report once I'm able to get back on-line. If I survive... ;-)

Patrick (riding the storm out in Florida's Panhandle) '93 Cobra (hiding in the garage) '83 LTD (parked in driveway helping to cut the wind pressure off the garage door)

Reply to
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

there,

Well, Patrick, we all wish you the best. Hopefully Ivan will weaken a bit, but I don't know. Down here they're talking about Ivan being the most powerful storm to hit the southeast since Andrew. They've said that New Orleans will be pretty much under water, and Mobile will be toast. The storm surge on the east side will be massive, so a 20-ft. rise is at least likely. Good thing you're 20 miles from the Gulf and you're house is high.

Just to give you an idea of the wind forces, we were on the edge of the hurricane force winds from Frances, and we got sustained winds of around 70mph. This is a good 50 miles south of where the eye hit land up in Martin County. We're even with Ft. Lauderdale on an east-west line. Ivan is much bigger, so hurricane force winds will probably be felt a good 75 miles from the eye in any direction, especially the east side. Also, don't forget that the winds will be blowing close to that speed and it will be raining for about 8 hours.

Just make sure you have plenty of canned food (and a manual can opener) and plenty of drinkable water. If you have a grill, make sure you've got plenty of fuel (charcoal or propane), and make sure you have plenty of matches and a couple lighter sticks. Put all your valuable papers and whatnot in ziploc bags (waterproof) just in case. Get paper plates and plastic cups/spoons/forks/knives. Get flashlights and batteries and a portable radio or tv. If your doors open inward, board them up as they'll blow in long before the windows will.

Finally, find a safe room in your house that you can hide in if you have to. No walls should be exposed to the outside, and it should be in the relative middle of your house. Get ready to put a mattress or two over you as well. Friends of mine did that through Andrew and they found the entire house blown away but they were ok under the mattresses in their safe room. If they hadn't done that they'd have died.

At any rate, best of luck, and stay safe!! Prayers and well wishes abound.

Joe